Dive stops in Western Caribbean (Carnival Cruise lines) - Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'll try that. Thank you.

I recommend diving with Eden Rock Diving Center in Grand Cayman Timetaveler sums it up well.

In Grand Cayman I'd personally dive with Don Fosters - they're great people, very helpful, and situated very near the harbour next to Eden Rock. They can do guided dives off Eden Rock etc so you don't have to go far and it's fine for a beginner (I dived there when I only had about 6 dives or so).
Happy and safe diving :)

Not much experience of Belize and Cozumel I'm afraid, but I can make recommendations for Grand Cayman and Roatan.

In Grand Cayman, you should try Divers Down. They have a shop with shore diving on a wreck just a few minutes walk from the cruiseship terminal. If you want to do a 2 tank dive whilst you are there then they can take you out on the boat as well. A very professional company and a PADI 5 star IDC centre. The boat Captains are good fun and the diving is great. If you wante you could probably arrange for a Stingray City dive instead - I know someone mentioned doing the Stingray City snorkel which is fiine, but on a day when there are cruiseships in it can get very crowded at the snorkel site. The dive site which is a couple of miles from the snorkel site is much quieter and with 8 divers max on the boat you really can't go wrong! Divers Down The best scuba diving in Grand Cayman, 8 divers max, Stingray City and instruction.

For Roatan, try Subway Watersports, they will pick you up from the cruiseship and take you to the dive shop (so you don't have to worry about paying too much for a taxi). You should check out their website - Roatan scuba diving snorkeling dive courses Bay Islands Honduras as they have a lot of possibilities available.

If you are doing your Open Water in August and want to do the shark dive, I would also agree that getting your advanced open water would be a good idea. You have plenty of time to do that and get in as many dives as you can so that when you get there you can really just enjoy the sharks!

Hope this is helpful!

For Roatan, try Subway Watersports, they will pick you up from the cruiseship and take you to the dive shop (so you don't have to worry about paying too much for a taxi). You should check out their website - Roatan scuba diving snorkeling dive courses Bay Islands Honduras as they have a lot of possibilities available.

ScubaRafiki, I booked with Subway Watersports for the same reasons you mentioned. Have you dived with them? What do you think of their dive operation?

I think Subway is a great operation - they offer a really personal service which I like and the number of people on the boat is generally always small. I'm sure you'll have a great time with them!!

OK, here is the no BS scoop on Belize. As far as cruise ship diving is concerned you want to book a shore excursion. I have been involved in both the cruise and resort industries at different managerial levels and I can tell you I have had the most cancellations due to weather in January than in the whole year combined. Secondly, ships don't dock in Belize. They anchor out and guests who book shore excursions get first priority to tender off the ship. Dive Excursions leave off the ship and return to the ship. Everyone else has to wait until shore excursions have departed then don't have enough time to shop around get on a dive and return before the ship leaves. Thirdly Dive Operators on shore take excursions to the Barrier reef which is vulnerable to cold front winds in the winter and southeasterlies in the summer. Turneffe Atoll will most likely have a leeward side the only problem is getting off the ship in cold fronts. Should the operator cancel due to any reason you get a refund or at least you know the operator is not getting your money. Finally, cruise dive operators need to maintain a very high standard to keep their contract which should give you peace of mind. This should make any cruise ship diving in Belize inquiries from any cruise line clear. Buy a shore excursion and sleep easy.

Safe Diving
Cyberdyver

We are doing the Carnival Legend on July 12. We are in the same situation as the original posting. We decided that only 2 ports were going to be scuba. After my many hours checking this site and others here is what I discovered. So, if I am wrong feel free to speak up.

First, we are newer to diving and will have my daughter, 12yrs Jr Advance Open Water. I was recommended to me by many divers this was my suggested list of islands

1) Isla Roatan
2) Cozumel
3) Belize
4) Cayman

But after all this research by dad, who wants to scuba. We are going to do suba in Cayman (because the land excusions are week). We are using Eden Rock 2 tank boat dive. After talking to them, I was happy to hear them say things like we can go to the wall for a dive but the Jr diver must stay at a depth no greater than 80ft. They also get back around 1pm to dock area. Since it is a Carnival later departure, they gave us an option to refill the air tanks for only $6 and we could go out to Eden Rock on our own for shallow dives. I thought it might be a good thing, if not too exhausted.

Cozumel was dropped do to seeing the Mayan Ruins (not to many place you can do this). Also, dad was vetoed.

Belize was my choice. But many said the best dives are to far out that it is not practical due to time restraints with departures. Plus I wanted to see the Blue Hole and it will not happen from a cruise. So, Zipline and Cave Tubing with Major Tom was the winner.

Isle Roatan was the #1 one choice and yes, Dad gets 1 out of 4 from is research! OH, NO HE DOES NOT! We are spending the big bucks to scuba with the dolphins at Anthony's Key-the 12 yr old WON AGAIN!

But anytime you can spend quality time diving with your child is more valuable.

OK, if anyone read all this, then is there any concerns diving with Eden Rock Divers?

We dove with Subway Watersports last week when we were in Roatan on the Carnival Legend. We were not disappointed. They picked us up at the cruise ship dock on time and transported us to their resort where we boarded their dive boat. The boat was reasonably large and comfortable, but there were only a total of 7 people on board including 3 divers , 2 snorkelers, 1 DM, and the captain. The captain looked after the snorkelers while the DM showed us two beautiful, healthy reefs :D And yes, they got us back to the ship on time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom