Dive Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
Yep, those guys were very rude in their approach. Some people...But as for tying up to another boat on a mooring without permission....it's not unusual here in Belize to see two boats on one mooring. I have been diving and surfaced to see a boat tied to mine. As long as they approach slowly looking for bubbles it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Well Hank49 I have no problem letting others tie off to me.
In fact I have had on some occasions had as many as 7 smaller boats tied off of mine. "We turn it into a party" :dazzler1:
On rough days, the Wolfe has had as many as 15 boats all gathered around and over 100 divers.
The great thing is we all get along and help each other out and we do it safely

The problem I had, is the attitude and the safety issue and lack of respect for dive flags.

Had the same guys stopped 400 or 500 feet away and radioed me or even yelled and ask I would have gladly helped them and allowed then to tie up to me in a safe manner

Groundhog246:
If they leave the boat unattended (ie everyone on board is diving), then tying off is usually acceptable.

I was under the impression that you couldn't (shouldn't) leave a boat unattended.. I thought someone would always have to be on board...

sparky30:
I was under the impression that you couldn't (shouldn't) leave a boat unattended.. I thought someone would always have to be on board...

And I believe that stickers have now been added to the mooring buoys stating that it was illegal to leave your boat unattended.

artw:
you mean like this :D

I couldn't see the "Do not leave your boat unattended" sticker......must be too small.....

DiveMistress2:
And I believe that stickers have now been added to the mooring buoys stating that it was illegal to leave your boat unattended.

It is not illeagal to leave your boat unattended in Ontario. It is cool if you believe it is properly moored otherwise it may be considered abandoned.

But it is NOT illegal. A bad idea perhaps, but not illegal.

Ontario Diver:
It is not illeagal to leave your boat unattended in Ontario. It is cool if you believe it is properly moored otherwise it may be considered abandoned.

But it is NOT illegal. A bad idea perhaps, but not illegal.

I'm not sure sure about that one..I'll have to dig through the web to find the reference again.. it was somewhere in the canada shipping act I think.. I just can't find it right now..
I believe the SOS or other private moorings require someone on the brifge because they are not in an achorage.. Its a mooring yes, but not a permanent place to tie up a boat.. I also seem to remember a paragraph about having a watch on board while dive or recovery operations are in progress.. I'll post the link when I find it again..
Not that it really makes a difference.. Nobody is enforcing the rules anyway.

Perhaps in Kingston or Tobermory it should be mandatory to have someone else on board the boat,, but in some of the smaller lakes like Simcoe or Muskoka it should be fine to leave a boat unattended,as long as the boat is securely anchored or tied off and you are flying a flag,,ive done it on many occasions when I was unable to find a third person to come along to keep watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom