Dive Training and Prerequites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you all agree that as well as the speed with which instructors and dive profressionals can acheive certification I find more and more stores and instructors are pushing the envelope and applying the standards very loosely.
For once I will have to agree with Seahunter in that I have seen far to many instructors who have quickly become instructors and really don't know the real responsibility they are accepting when they begin teaching, we used to have a saying for some new instructors we referred to them as having N.I.S. " New Instructor Syndrome" they have swollen heads and think they know it all and when a situation arises with a class they aren't capable of handling it and a managable situation can get out of control very quickly.
I beleive as well as possibly putting more focus on actual diving skills some how we as divers and folks who care about the sport and the industry as a whole have to find a way to get the shops and instructors who don't follow standards either to follow them or get them out of the industry. These people pose a larger threat to the sport than divers who go from open water to advanced right away.
If we as divers don't police it correctly you know who will and that will be bad for all.

It's not enough to follow the standards they need to follow the intent of the standard. For instance...Every dive for every PADI class has as a requirement that the student must demonstrate good buoyancy control. However there isn't a definition of "good". Just read the board here to see how many instructors believe that basic skills like buoyancy control and trim should be perfected after OW certification. As a result there definition of good becomes what they call good for some one who hasn't learned it yet. In other words they didn't drown.

Surf the web how many 2 day, guaranteed certification, OW classes there are. 2 day advanced classes? Sure you can knoch off 5 dives in two days if the student doesn't have to learn anything new. It works if you don't require no-silting and good buddy awareness while navigating a square. You know let the student crawl a square while the DM follows to make sure the student doesn't disapear. Of course the student doesn't know if any one is there or not they just take it for granted. It works if you let them sit or lay in the bottom whlie they tie their UW knots in a S & R dive. If however you ask that these tasks be performed in addition to good technique over all then it might be a much longer class.

divebuddydale once bubbled...

Actually .. on www.acuc.es.. it does not state that you need 2 specialties. When I took my Advanced, about a year ago now, they were thinking of making so you needed rescue diver first, but not sure what happened there.

as for the "Questions I might want to ask" I do not want to focus on any particular accident even though the Long Sault one is fresh in our mind, all the points you made are valid, but are focussed on the instructor, (which I think should be done as well) but I want to focus on the student.

Dale
I guess you are right. They used to require the two specialties but like Naui they were forced to lower the bar to compete with PADI programs.

...PADI is about the money. Although I willnot argue some of Seahunter's POVs, that PADI has injected much money into the fray to heighten the awareness of diving.

If PADI is speeding the training up, reducing the # of dives required for "advanced" training and up to and including instructor, so be it.

Where is it wriitten that some of the other organizations have to follow? Or for that matter the instructors have to follow PADI's example?

As I understand it PADI sets "minimum" standards to be met by the student. Who says the instructor cannot surpase these "minmum" standards?

OK, the bite is that it costs more to do these more "complete" courses. More pool time etc.

Do all the "good" instructors now just quit? Or do they assume the role that Doppler has appeared to take.

Doppler, if I am incorrect in this please accept my apologies and give us a correction.

Doppler is an independant instructor. Chooses his students, does check out dives to achieve some sort of diving proficiency. He then chooses to accept the student or not.

Charges his own fees accordingly.

Based on this, can some the other instructor follow his lead? Can you find a niche as a dive training repairman?

The more we expose incomplete diver training, perhaps the more these independant repairman (PC presons), can find business.

No, you won't attract the masses ass do the other organizations, but you can charge accordingly and make it "profitable".

Is this a practicle thought or is it vastly full of holes?

As an instructor wannabe the thoughts are important to me and should be important to others...

Price seems to be the common theme in a number of posts in this thread. So I ask a simple question ( at bottom after my ramblings):

Is the fact that Scuba Instruction has pretty much become a commodity in the marketplace the root reason of having sub-standard certified divers.

I know one store was offering a IOne Day Ice Diving Course this past winter for $125.00 and another diveshop was also having an Ice Diving Course (cost was $225.00) more dives and the fact that it was a 3 day course (Friday Evening Class, Dives Saturday & Sunday ) seemed to be one element for the increase in the cost at the second store. The second store had to cancel the Ice Diving Course as most people took the $125 1 day course instead.

So do we as divers have to except some responsibility since we "yak" about safety but when it comes down to saving some bucks just to get C-card we choose a lower priced less instruction course?

Hi all,

I've skimmed one or two of your posts on this topic (ok, I read most of them), and have my simple answer.

It's all to do with personal choice and common sense. i.e if I choose to dive without a buddy and you die, is it the instructors fault? Not really, it's common sense, it's in the book and diving with a buddy is strongly recommended. Taking an advanced course is the same thing. I waited until I thought I was ready, then I took the course, no problem whatsoever, I had the opportunity on this course to dive with some very experienced divers in the Long Sault area, and being the only student on the course thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to experience near zero-vis at the Milles Roche and for me that's a great experience. I'm a strong advocate of doing only what you feel comfortable doing, just because your certification tells you that you can go to 120ft doesn't mean you have to. Nor should you if you're not comfortable.

As for the should the instructor require a skills test, again, personal choice. I teach Army Cadets how to shoot and I am the Range Safety Officer, unless I know the cadet well, they have to demonstrate firearm safety to me before they go near my range, so I would apply the same rule if I was a dive instructor.

As a student, you should be comfortable with your instructor.
As an instructor, you should be comfortable with your student.

Anything else leaves a big area for disaster.

My $0.22 (I talked way more than my $0.02)

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

You highlighted a number of excellent points. To a large degree divers are an uneducated consumer. The three day ice diving course that was mentioned in a previous post that had to be cancelled is a good example as well. The thee day course was more expensive and a better value. $225/3 days = $75/day. $125/1day = $125/day. But invariable the uninformed diver will grab the cheap course.

My question is that when a diver is looking for training why do they for the most part seek the least expensive available. If you needed heart surgury would you not want the very best surgeon that money could but to perform the operation? Well you are donning life support equipment and sticking your head in a place where you cannot breath and in some cases your technique will determine whether you live or die. Do you want the cheapest and least experienced instructor to teach you all he knows or do you want the very best available.

Fortunately there are a few instructors such as doppler and Dan from NTD in kingston who have turned their backs on the situation as it is and walk to the beat of their own drummers. They have failure rates and when a diver should be take up a safer sport such as chess they are not afraid to hurt someones feelings by telling them something that may save their life! Of course this type of top-notch training comes at a premium. If you want the best you have to pay for it.

Of course there is the flip side of the coin as well. The gentlemen in question also have the skill and experience necessary to teach in this manner.

Unfortunatly, top notch instructors such as Doppler are the minority.

Due to the large certification machines churning out OW instructors, the superior instructors are left to the exclusive crowd or the Technical side.

The market is fat with instructors that lower the quality and standards of the sport. Every year as more cardboard instructors are circulated, the baseline for new divers and instructors lowers.

Agencies are speading themselves thin by digging into new areas of instruction...boat safety, First response, AED....

What's next.... go to my local OWSI to get my PADI DZ cert?

What about the word STANDARD?
"A degree or level of requirement, excellence, or attainment."

If all instructors must meet a standard and give a course with specific standards.....why are they all different? Why doesn't the agencies put a SRP on courses. An instructor must purchase a cert for $150 ...therefor having to charge at least $250 retail?

Standardize the price and you will minimize the unhealthy competition that harms the consumer.

Thought I wasn't watching eh?

I suppose I should be irritated by the regular statements such as " I hate to agree with seahunter, but..." or "For once I agree with seahunter...". What the hell is wrong with agreeing with me?
I certainly would be suspicious of anyone who agreed with everything I say but, is there a general assumption out there that I don't know what I'm talking about so shouldn't be listened too?
I'm being rhetorical of course and take as a compliment that some of my suggestions and idea are accepted even if reluctantly.

I just quickly read the last few posts and have little time so I'll just shoot in some throughts to get you going!

1. PADI standards are not the minimum or at least that's not the way to look at them. They are THE STANDARDS! The instructor must teach that material and those skills and nothing else. If he leaves out or inserts additional or personal information (other than personal experiences to enhance the PADI ideas) he is not following the PADI system. This method while it irriates the individual spirit of many instructors, is designed to ensure that every PADI diver at a certain level has the same knowledge and skills as every other other PADI diver at that level.
Having agreed that it's the individual instructor who really determines how bad or good the training is, PADI is simply trying to eliminate that factor. Good instructors can work within the PADI system to ensure good, consistent training while bad instructors have a guige to follow and hopefully get better or get kicked out.
Realize that PADI Instructor training requires you encourage further, additional training ASAP. Some of you will say that is just to make more money. Make up your mind - on one hand you say the divers need more training but you don't want PADI to encourage that because they might make a buck! You can't have it both ways unless you think that scuba instructors should teach for free in which case the sport is doomed. There's no way the industry can survive much less grow and no way the divers will have opportunities to learn and grow if it's run like a club.

UC, you, more than a lot, know exactly why the course fees are often low. A poorly run scuba business is desparate to pay the rent and thinks that a big sale of gear or courses will solve the problem. In fact, it's the first step to failure. In the meantime other equally-misinformed store owners panic and drop their prices.
The problem is not one of divers, PADI, material costs - it's one of great divers (but ****ty business people) trying to run a scuba store.

With respect to training standards, the numbers of instructors and other topics that have been touched on, it seems that some of you have fallen into the same trap - spouting off without knowing or ignoring for your own agenda the actual facts.
You say a good school should be able to charge more but many divers ask for the price only and choose the cheapest without digging further and yet you've made the same mistake, for example...

Guaranteed Certification is a great concept (I'm trying to be modest here) but does NOT mean that either the standards are lowered or that every scuba student gets certified whether good or bad! It is a simple marketing objective that assures the consumer he will get quality training AND consumer protection. IF HE IS NOT HAPPY OR SUCCESSFUL ON THE SCUBA COURSE, he will get his money back!! What wrong with that??

Rating the quality of scuba training based on the time frame to complete it is naive. Dozens of stores have 1 class a month with 15+ students, 1 instructor and a format that takes 8 to 10 weeks to complete the course PLUS another 4 or 5 days to do the O/W dives. It's just a damn waste of the students and instructors time!
Small classes (8 max), low ratios (4 students/instructor), effective use of all modern teaching methods, convenient facilities (pool/class/O/W) and the course can be taught properly and well in a fraction of that time PLUS the new divers are enthusiastic rather than impatient or bored.
It still angers me when someone says that 1 class a week over 8 weeks is better that the same course over 2 fulltime days. How arrogant for an instructor to think that his students listen to him for 3 hours on a Tuesday night and then read and review daily that information in preparation for the next lesson a week later when in fact, they have forgotten half of what he said by the next class. They are lucky to have remembered his name!!

Less than 1% of divers become instructors. Less than 1/2 of those actually teach. Maybe that's good but it certainly shows that there is NOT a tend to 'mass produce' instructors. Current instructor training requires about $3000. From open water to instructor besides the other requirements (time, dives, levels, etc) will require a total investment over $10K to $15K. Certainly the cost no guarantee of producing a good instructor but it does eliminate the wannabees and those not dedicated to a certain extent.

The preqequisites and the requirements for ALL training programs and most particularly the leadership levels (DM, AI and I) have been increasing reguarly. In 2002 and 2003 we saw the biggest jump in requirements to become an instructor that has occurred in several years. Perhaps y'all ought to get current!

MFA (Medic First Aid) and the current EFR )Emergency First Response) courses in first aid, CPR, AED, O2, etc are NOT PADI programs!! They are established medical training industry programs that PADI has made available for scuba instructors to teach. The materials, methods and standards are from the emergency medical training industry. PADI has simply decided that PADI leaders need to have consistently good medical training and has chosen these established programs. Red Cross, St. John's, etc are still accepted but the much more modern and more widely accepted (internationally) MFA and/or EFR are simply better! THEY ARE NOT PADI COURSES!! Perhaps y'all should read the back-up info that accompanies these programs rather than depending on heresay to!

Go nuts! I'm in a good mood! Take your best shot!!

Well, I must say I don't necessarily think that a store that is inexpensive isn't a good store. When I shop around for a store, whether it is to buy gear, or to take a class (I'm stuck with one store with that because the service I've received is phenominal) I do a lot of research, talk to divers, check out web forums, talk to my open water instructor (I have the good fortune of working with him), etc. So really, it depends on a lot of things, some stores offer great deals, some are expensive, some give deep discounts if you buy gear too, I don't think it is necessarily a mark of poor instruction. Those schools that do jam their students in, probably don't have a great instructor to student ratio. Which is a bad thing.

As for the comments on should a school teach non-diving courses like boating safety and first aid, I certainly think they should. For first aid, I will hopefully be teaching at least one course this year to a dive school, I'm not a dive instructor. I am a first aid instructor (as well as a few other things), I teach to the military, businesses and as of this season at least one dive school. So it's not taking away from their instructor pool. It's a totally different course, based on totally different protocols and run by different agencies. It just fits VERY well with dive training, because I, for one, wouldn't want to have a dive site free of people with first aid training, so what better place to teach, than a dive school. Either way, dive instructors have to teach at least to the standards. (I'm not going to get into the PADI/NAUI/WHATEVER comments because all my training has been done through NAUI and I have dived with idiots and great divers from both agencies) so you really shouldn't lose out from a school that teaches first aid, diving and safe boating, they go hand in hand, in my humble opinion, and if you are losing out, I would suggest you find another store and let that one go out of business.

This has been another originally short winded but finally long winded reply from Mike :wink:

Back
Top Bottom