Dive Training Magazine article on.... Dive training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think as divers we want to see the sport grow and we can find the passing involvement frustrating.
Do we really? Why? Since participating in this post I've been critically asking this to myself and I am not totally sure about the answer.

Pros: Larger voice print to be heard in society. This could help with the creation of diving parks and end up facilitating access to dive sites.

Cons: Diver "pollution" harming reefs by touching them. Death of divers closing dive spots.

I am unsure as to whether a larger market base would motivate faster, better developments in diving technology. I guess you could argue it would, but I am not entirely sure that it would not turn out to be a spurious argument in reality.

You could also argue that a larger voice print would help us secure favorable legislations. But then, I am of the opinion that we are going to be better off with the minimum amount of legal restraints possible. I guess you could argue that a larger voice print could provide better insurance against unfavorable legislation. But then we could say a larger group is easier to notice and target... So again I'm unsure on this.

From my point of view, the growth of the scuba sport only presents clear advantages if you stand to somehow profit monetarily from it. Only then you can see that a larger market base translates into more $$$. But for somebody like me, who is not interested in making a single penny out of scuba activities, I really don't see the lack of growth as a major tragedy. It could even have some advantages.

Do we really? Why? Since participating in this post I've been critically asking this to myself and I am not totally sure about the answer.

Personally, I'm only interested in seeing the divers I have trained continue their diving. The rest of you can stop any time.:D

I just need to figure out exactly why they give it up, so I can counter that trend or at the least, provide them with every possible tool at my disposal. If it's their choice, I can't do much about that, but I want to be damned sure they have every chance possible to succeed.

In most cases, people who want to succeed will do so in spite of poor training.

The only valid measure of my success as an instructor is the quality and quantity of dives my former students are doing. My success as an instructor is nearly as important to me as my diving. The input I receive on these threads contributes to my improvement as an instructor, validates my techniques or gives me reason to reconsider methods or adopt new methods presented within these threads.

Thanks to all for their participation, I appreciate your input.

Want more divers? Figure out how to break the America's addiction to video games. You'll read that hunting, fishing, and golf are all losing participants. I ask the young guys at work about golf; many play..... as a video game. When the latest game device is released, America lines up early for it.

I saw THIS and THIS in my local GameStop a few weeks ago. Now you can dive without getting wet.

Personally, I'm only interested in seeing the divers I have trained continue their diving. The rest of you can stop any time.

That was a reason I got away from diving during my first go-round. I was a 1970's Maryland diver with about 100 dives. Many were challenging North Carolina dives. Anyway, between Baltimore and Washington there was a dive club. They were very active. I asked about joining, as my regular buddies stopped diving due to parenthood.

I was told that I could join, but not dive with them. They had their own instructor, and if you trained elsewhere you had to start over. I didn't join, my diving decreased, and other recreational interests eventually took over.

But.... I'm glad to be back.

Personally, I'm only interested in seeing the divers I have trained continue their diving. The rest of you can stop any time.:D

That was a reason I got away from diving during my first go-round. I was a 1970's Maryland diver with about 100 dives. Many were challenging North Carolina dives. Anyway, between Baltimore and Washington there was a dive club. They were very active. I asked about joining, as my regular buddies stopped diving due to parenthood.

I was told that I could join, but not dive with them. They had their own instructor, and if you trained elsewhere you had to start over. I didn't join, my diving decreased, and other recreational interests eventually took over.

But.... I'm glad to be back.

Crap, I need to work on my communcations skills.

I'd dive with or help just about anyone, but I can't really influence anyone, other than my students. Thousands begin and quit diving every year, I'm sure. I'm just looking to motivate those I've instructed, cuz that's about the only chance I have of making any difference. If they choose to give it up, I can't help but feel that on some level, it's a failure on my part.

The situation you encountered is pretty crappy, but I can't do anything about that.... Other than to say sorry that happened, but I'd dive with you.

Anyway, between Baltimore and Washington there was a dive club. They were very active. ...

I was told that I could join, but not dive with them. They had their own instructor, and if you trained elsewhere you had to start over.

... sounds like one of those "UE" clubs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... sounds like one of those "UE" clubs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That might be a good comparison. 30 years ago, there were different training agencies that did not always recognize each other.

Anyhow, I believe there should be as many divers as possible. Good divers, of course. Scuba divers have always been advovates of clean lakes, rivers, and oceans. BP's disaster shows we should continue to be vocal in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom