Dive Tray Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's better with the lights a bit behind but with flex arms you can set them where you want with either style tray.

A boomerang tray can serve as a crude tripod to set the camera on the sand.

If you use a boomerang, you can always flip the camera around so the handles are a little forward if youre worried about it.

I use a DIY, straight, tray and am happy with the results.

That said, here are two advantages to a boomerang tray that have occurred to me:

Your lights radiate in a cone-like pattern (even wide angle, video lights). They need to be pointed in a bit to ensure close subjects are lit up. With a boomerang shaped tray the light cone has expanded more, so the lights don't need to be turned in as much.

If you are using a wide angle lens, your lights may be visible to the camera with a straight tray (this happens with my Kodak SP360 cameras, for example). A boomerang tray puts the lights behind the camera so this will be less of an issue.

i've been debating the same thing, straight vs boomerang style.

FWIW, there's a nice straight tray for $35 made of aluminum i've found HERE

The SRP tray is great because it affords you tons of options.

If you are using a wide angle lens, your lights may be visible to the camera with a straight tray (this happens with my Kodak SP360 cameras, for example). A boomerang tray puts the lights behind the camera so this will be less of an issue.

This is dead on. The GoPro has some really wide-angle settings. If you want the lights to be a bit more forward, use the arms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom