dive trip report: Key Largo - April 18-23, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We went for our second warm water vacation and the first non-shore diving one. Booked all diving (5 day package) through Silent World. We stayed in "The Pelican" resort, booked also through Silent World. Interactions with SW was good with the only exception of Daniel (guy with a british accent) who basically lied to me on the phone about the rental price of the equipment and played dumb when confronted in person. I did not want to make a big deal about $50. Captains Bob and Garry are both excellent (courteous and very helpful). Hale (stuff at SW who was on the boat a few times) is great!!! Did I say that Daniel (from SW) did not act professionally by lying to a customer?

We only did shallow dives (max depth was ~12 meters) - my wife is very new to diving and we decided to play it safe. First day the sea was very rough (3-5 scale) and despite 1 pill of Dramamine (we're both prone to motion sickness), we were very sick. I only did 1 dive but did not enjoy anything due to motion sickness. Following Capt. Bob advice of taking 2 pills per day (morning and before bed) we were fine the rest of our vacations. Much calmer water also helped the case.

From all the dive sites we dove (The Statue (Jesus one), North Dry Rocks, Mike's wreck, South Ledge, City of Washington, Fingers/Elbow reef, Benwood, Gracians) - the Elbow reef was the prettiest as well as the wreck of Benwood.

Water temperature was 24 C at the shallow depth we dove. Visibility was good (much better than in Boston area). 2/3 mm full wetsuit kept my wife warm. I had hooded vest in addition to 2/3 mm wetsuit.

As fas as living things - we did not see anything large but people going to deep wrecks saw leopard shark, large grouper. We saw lots of typical reef fishes. We also saw a turtle on the surface when heading back to the pier from dives. My wife took a glass bottom boat trip to Molasses reef. They saw a bunch of dolphins and a shark.

Compared to our first warm water vacations in Bonaire - shallow dives in Key Largo are not in the same league as far as reef vibrant colors, size and fish variety. If I were to go to Key Largo again, it would only be for its deep dives.

As fas as living things - we did not see anything large but people going to deep wrecks saw leopard shark
I doubt they saw a leopard shark, which inhabits the Northeastern Pacific, but with lionfish everywhere who knows. Lemon shark would make more sense. There are (different) leopard sharks in the Indian Ocean too--I see them around Thailand all the time, but about half the people call them zebra sharks, which is the problem with common names.

I recently read about a tiger shark siting (Bahama's) and I thought those were Pacific fish as well.
I've no huge interest to meet up with one!

I dove those same dives out of Amy's in the Keys last summer. The wrecks were very cool.
We saw some pretty good sized Moray's also... (and a few large parrots) I agree though -
if I went back it would be for deep dives (wrecks) which they're all hairy about making you
pay for a guide, or be advanced certified. I'm a safe and careful diver, whatver...
I don't really need my hand HELD. anyhow...

I hope you hit the Fish House! (or their new bar/cafe next door) That place rocks!

Cost-wise, the Upper Keys are the answer for a lot of us. I dove with two different shops last week, double-dipped the Speigle Grove and did a deep and shallow reef the second day. Was supposed to double-dip the Duane the second day but the operator didn't have enough divers to go out so he cancelled. Luckily a nearby shop was looking for more divers so I went with them. Water was 75 on top and 70 on the Grove. No wave action or breeze at all and the air temp went up to around 80 during both days. I think that the fish kill (freeze) this winter had an adverse effect on the fish population on the shallow reef (Grumpy) but there was a good population of lobsters. Can't wait till it opens up. Found five takers in one hole. I dove Tuesday and Wednesday, first day three of us on the boat and second day five. All-in-all a good trip.

Nurse shark??

I recently read about a tiger shark siting (Bahama's) and I thought those were Pacific fish as well.
No, the tiger shark's range is the tropical and sub-tropical oceans around the world, and they are often found in temperate waters as well, with the exception of the Mediterranean. I have seen one (in the Pacific) but you will see a lot of pictures of them taken from Tiger Beach on trips to the Bahamas aboard the Shearwater.

Florida Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Department

I guess I am a little biased. The fish population at Molasses was much denser compared to any site I dove in Bonaire. That being said thnx for the report

Compared to our first warm water vacations in Bonaire - shallow dives in Key Largo are not in the same league as far as reef vibrant colors, size and fish variety. If I were to go to Key Largo again, it would only be for its deep dives.

I think the reality is that each place has dives that are more vibrant with larger fish of greater variety than the other. I've seen a large number of species with much greater frequency off Key Largo than at Bonaire. For example, large schools (50-60 individuals) of midnight parrotfish; 7 spotted eagle rays at a time; "herds" of 2-3 ft blue parrotfish grazing the sea floor. Maybe those species are equally common in Bonaire, but not in my experience. In general, the shallow Key Largo dives are known for the unusually large numbers of larger fish, particularly grouper, compared to most regions in the Caribbean. Bonaire is great on its own and does not require a defense. I have seen literally hundreds of thousands of bigeye scad in Bonaire and not one off Key Largo. However, to suggest that none of the shallow dives in Key Largo is in the same league as any in Bonaire is just wrong. They are different and let them remain so.

Thanks for the update!

My wife and I are doing our first ever ocean dives with Silent World in May. I have heard great things about them so I am surprised at your troubles.

Oh well...we are bringing our own gear so no problems there.

We went for our second warm water vacation and the first non-shore diving one. Booked all diving (5 day package) through Silent World.

Mikhail, this is Ivan. My buddy Grant and I were in The Silent World boat with you Tues afternoon, Wed afternoon, and you dove with us on Thurs. Morning. I should have asked, but it's nice to know after the fact that I dove with a fellow Scubaboard member! One thing I learned from you, is to actually have a good pre dive conversation with someone I am diving with. The first dive that you were with me, when I looked at your pressure guage underwater and it was bar and not psi, I had no clue what I was looking at. Not the best feeling. But your SAC rate was about half of what mine was, but slowly but surly mine is getting better. The second dive, I felt better when I actually knew what I was looking at!
I still think that huge thing under the coral ledge we saw was a Morey EEL wow if it was it was HUGE! By the way, Captain Bob was great!
Pudsky (Ivan)

Back
Top Bottom