Dive Trip to Bonaire, staying in Buddy Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just reserved a dive trip to Bonaire. We will stay in Buddy Dive. The deal includes a truck for every 4 divers.
The question is what do divers do with the truck keys while diving. Truck keys can be submerged ? or we need to by a dry case ?
Dry cases are also included with the truck rental ?

Last time we were there the keys were either old enough to not care (OK to submerge) or they give you a dry case. They usually ask you to try and rinse the salt off before you put it in the ignition. (You know not to lock the door already, right?

On Bonaire, I use a DryFob and stow it in the port side rear trim pocket of my BC along with a 2lb soft weight. This offsets my 13cf rear mounted pony that I also bring to Bonaire..

PZXkeaZ.jpg

We also use a dryfob. We have a quick disconnect and clip it it in my left BCD pocket so it can't escape. Bullet proof.

We just get a dry box/cylinder thing from buddy dive. think its a 20 dollar deposit.
Tie it off to your bcd. Put keys and some cash for lunch at a food truck if we aren't going back to the resort.

We just get a dry box/cylinder thing from buddy dive. think its a 20 dollar deposit.
Tie it off to your bcd. Put keys and some cash for lunch at a food truck if we aren't going back to the resort.
Before you do this, ask Buddy Dive who is responsible to replace the fob if the "dry" box leaks. Just get a DryFob and stop obsessing about lesser solutions. The downside of a leak is too expensive to fiddle with.

Last time I was in Bonaire (2020), the van we had just took a regular key with no chip, so I just put it in my wetsuit pocket. I bought a DryFob a few weeks ago, tied a boltsnap to it, and intend to try it out on my trip to Bonaire this February. I figure the key plus $20 or $40 cash in the DryFob, and leave my ID in the truck.

By the way, has anybody stayed in the 3BR apartments in Buddy lately? I'll be going with a group of 6, all of us sharing one of the 3BR's. Last time we did this, Buddy was short on trucks so we got 1 van instead of 2 trucks. Kind of hoping to get 2 trucks this time around, which will make it easier when half the group wants to dive, other half wants to go windsurfing or whatever.

Before you do this, ask Buddy Dive who is responsible to replace the fob if the "dry" box leaks. Just get a DryFob and stop obsessing about lesser solutions. The downside of a leak is tpo expensive to fiddle with.

Totally agree with this..... you can think about it, invent it, take chances on cheaper and less proven options.....or just go with a proven solution from a solid SP sponsor.

One thing I will say about Jaan and his DryFob product is that they (he) has NEVER critiqued other competitor products and even supports other "ideas" that may or may not work. I just personally and fully respect a vendor who continues to focus on his own products "positives" and lets that speak for itself.

The thieves on Bonaire aren't out to steal rental trucks and most people just tuck the keys somewhere mildly out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom