Dive Trip to the Great Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frenchy2005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have always wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef and have a few questions for anyone who is familiar with diving there.

1. when is the best time to go?
2. who to go with? (dive company/ charter)
3. Any other helpful suggestions or hints!

Thanks!

Frenchy2005:
I have always wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef and have a few questions for anyone who is familiar with diving there.

1. when is the best time to go?
2. who to go with? (dive company/ charter)
3. Any other helpful suggestions or hints!

Thanks!

Frenchy,
I went in early October, which was early spring, and the weather was great. Not too hot, wind was not bad and no rain during the entire trip. We flew into Cairns and went on the liveaboard Nimrod thru Explorer Ventures http://www.explorerventures.com/australia.html I've got some of the pictures we took on my website at www.lonestardiver.com.

UndrWatrDan:
Frenchy,
I went in early October, which was early spring, and the weather was great. Not too hot, wind was not bad and no rain during the entire trip. We flew into Cairns and went on the liveaboard Nimrod thru Explorer Ventures http://www.explorerventures.com/australia.html I've got some of the pictures we took on my website at www.lonestardiver.com.

Thanks for the info!, Cool pictures.

I went to Cairns in March. Only a little rain, otherwise great (even the rain was short-lived and didn't interfere with diving). Dove with Deep Sea Divers Den. I'd recommend them. The rest of the time I stayed in a hostel for a very reasonable price. Liked the "city" (I'd call it a town myself, which made it even more loveable).

If you check when you arrive, you may be able to find a few spots on a Coral Sea trip. I could have done one for half price (wish I'd had more time to go).

Dr. Bill

There are so many dive operators in Cairns ... basically you get what you pay for. There are some awesome trips available, especially the longer ones that make it out to the Coral Sea.

I personally prefer to stay in Port Douglas away from the bulk of tourists and crazy nightlife of Cairns .. but that's just me.

To get up to date info on who goes where, when and for how much check out underwater.com.au featuring comprehensive info on all Dive Shops, Liveaboards and Day Boat operators, great local info and diving recommendations .. and best of all, discounts for diving all around Oz

Looking forward to see you there !

Tim :10:

Thanks for all the good info.... keep it coming!

Corigan:
Nice Pics, thanks for sharing Danny. I really liked the stars and the cuttlefish.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I hope to post some more pics in the near future and complete my trip report and put it on my site. I'm going to be in Canada for 3 wks where the temps are below zero and lots of snow, so I should have plenty of time at night to get more on the site. There will be NO DIVING on this trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom