Dive Trip/Travel Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interested in the travel medical insurance. Had Anthem Blue Cross up until this year which gave me some coverage when traveling internationally. For 2018, in Indiana, I had a whopping 2 choices for a carrier, neither of whom provide any coverage abroad.

Looking briefly at the GeoBlue website, it reads that one must have a primary health plan to purchase their plans. Does that mean a primary that covers me internationally? Looking for the quick answer although I know I can call them.

Voyager Essential does not require a primary health plan to purchase. Only Voyager Choice does.

My plan covers internationally but not great coverage so I always buy from them for travel.

This is a very timely thread! I am currently in the insurance quandary. Dive Assure is $2200 for 2 divers, trip cost $15,000. It sounds like the gold standard of plans, all the bells and whistles. But at almost 15% of the trip costs it just seems excessive. I will list all our travel plans, if anyone sees a problem let me know. Our trip plans are: fly out on Wednesday at 7am to Houston- 1:45 layover, fly to Hong Kong,- 3 hour layover, arrive Thursday evening in Jakarta at 11:55 pm (one airline ticket). Sleep in airport till 5:45 am flight on Friday to Sorong landing at 1.30 pm. Boat leaves mid morning Saturday. There are multiple flights later Friday to sorong if needed. We have Dan Guardian level insurance and dive I insurance provided by dive boat. I want cancellation insurance mostly. I think we have enough time in Jakarta to catch a later flight and still make the boat. I have looked at other carriers and can get insurance for around $600 to $800. I don't want to be insurance poor, sure it sounds good to cover anything that could happen but does it make financial sense? What are other reasonably priced trip insurance companies? Bill and Dee Dee soon to be celebrating our 30 year anniversary in Raja Ampat

This is a very timely thread! I am currently in the insurance quandary. Dive Assure is $2200 for 2 divers, trip cost $15,000. It sounds like the gold standard of plans, all the bells and whistles. But at almost 15% of the trip costs it just seems excessive. I will list all our travel plans, if anyone sees a problem let me know. Our trip plans are: fly out on Wednesday at 7am to Houston- 1:45 layover, fly to Hong Kong,- 3 hour layover, arrive Thursday evening in Jakarta at 11:55 pm (one airline ticket). Sleep in airport till 5:45 am flight on Friday to Sorong landing at 1.30 pm. Boat leaves mid morning Saturday. There are multiple flights later Friday to sorong if needed. We have Dan Guardian level insurance and dive I insurance provided by dive boat. I want cancellation insurance mostly. I think we have enough time in Jakarta to catch a later flight and still make the boat. I have looked at other carriers and can get insurance for around $600 to $800. I don't want to be insurance poor, sure it sounds good to cover anything that could happen but does it make financial sense? What are other reasonably priced trip insurance companies? Bill and Dee Dee soon to be celebrating our 30 year anniversary in Raja Ampat

I am thinking a huge factor for the insurance quote is a function of age because that is the only thing that I can think of that is skewing the cost so much when I compare my quotes vs. @Lorenzoid's and now yours. I insured an $8K trip for $406 deluxe with liveaboard rider...but I am 32 going on 33. Even doubling that to match your $15K trip for 2 people would not make it proportional at all. I suggest that perhaps you look into only covering the boat portion and flights if you are worried about that part the most. I'm not sure how much that will actually knock off the premium by. See what your credit card is willing to cover in case things arise and slot in the insurance coverage to cover those holes. You don't have to cover the entire trip - you can cover certain parts or amounts. You mentioned you are most worried about trip cancellation. It will depend on what type of cancellation you are worried about. If it's so debilitating you can't travel, your credit card will most likely cover that but check. If you are worried about weather or other circumstances etc., see what your CC will cover. Keep us posted! Happy early anniversary!

Your itinerary sounds same as mine when I flew to Sorong from SFO. I did SFO-NRT-CGK-SOQ. I arrived CGK at 11:55 PM or so and flew out on Batik's 5:45 or something AM flight. We had a middle of the night dinner at the domestic terminal at one of the restaurants.

@outofofficebrb , I envy your youth. Take advantage of cheap insurance now!

And recovering from a wild night of binge drinking by the next day...I really miss that...

So do I tell you now or later than I am allergic to alcohol? :D Forever DD and no worries about having to juggle diving with beverage choices.....except soda. Man, that gas! :wink:

I am only 60 years young and my blushing wife 51. Hate to think it is so high be of her age. I won't tell her this. Outofofficebrb, tell us about ur trip! Was there sufficient time inbetween Jakarta and Sorong? Who did you dive with? Time of year? Tips or suggestions?

@wildbill9 , I hear ya. Yes, my wife and I are in the same quandary. Keep in mind we could reduce the premium by NOT getting the DA LOB rider. Do you really feel a need to be compensated for a lost dive day or two or five? They couldn't possibly compensate me for what a day of diving in Indonesia is really worth to ME. The out-of-pocket cost per day on a LOB doesn't hurt as much as having looked forward to it for months, having traveled all that way, etc. The dive experience is the real value, and they can't compensate me for that. The DA LOB rider does appear to have good coverage for what I'll call "catching up with the boat" should you miss the departure, but we can minimize the risk of that by planning to arrive days early. We're booked to arrive two days early in Fiji. Instead of paying a premium of X to some insurance company, I'd rather pay X to a hotel and chill by the pool for a couple of days as my "insurance." (Of course, that depends on what one's time away from work is worth.) The older we get, the more likely we are to claim trip cancellation due to health issues, and the insurers appear to be well aware of that. As OOO suggests, perhaps shop around for separate trip cancellation insurance? My credit card covers nothing! The LOB would have charged me 3% to use the credit card, so I did a bank transfer (knowing that I was forgoing the protections afforded by a credit card).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom