Dive trips from Phi Phi/Phuket affected due to heavy rains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pai

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Folks!

I'm heading to Thailand next week (21st to 31st). A totally unplanned one, and i don't have any bookings for diving. I'm hearing of heavy showers and floods there. Reports say tourism in Phuket isn't affected much by the ongoing floods, but how are the dive trips going? Are they getting cancelled due to heavy showers? Or is it all fine? .............. Or is it raining at all in south Thailand :confused:

Hi Pai , The weather in Phuket is good right now . Actually you've timed it right as last week the weather was shocking , however , its clear now and is set to continue to be good for the next week or so . You can use the website WindGURU: Weather forecasts for windsurfing, kitesurfing and other wind related sports for accurate weather forecasts to help you decide when is best to go diving . We arrange dive trips through out the area and can give you helpful advice depending on what you're looking to do and depending on your level of experience . check out our website Exclusive Speed boat Scuba Diving and customised Charters in Phuket for plenty of information on dive site sites and quality dive trips . Have a good stay in Thailand ... the South is dry :)

Thanks Quero and Gilesphuket.... Good to know its better down there. My flight is to bangkok, and i'm hoping the floods wont break the sand bag barriers set up there..

Diving in Phi Phi has not been affected either... even with the rain we were out every day. It's actually nicer under the water when the weather is nasty, in my opinion. The last 3 days have been bright and sunny, so I hope it holds for your vacation!

You can use the website WindGURU: Weather forecasts for windsurfing, kitesurfing and other wind related sports for accurate weather forecasts to help you decide when is best to go diving.

This is a really nice resource. The site also includes historical data so you can easily spot changes in wind direction over time. If you look at the last month you can see that the prevailing winds in Phuket were out of the west and southwest (monsoon) until about the middle of this month when they started to shift around to the west and northwest (trade winds). This is a good indication that the intertropical convergence zone is on its way south meaning good weather for much of Thailand, at least for the next few months.

You can also get a good look at the ITCZ in the full-disk satellite photo from the Japan Meteorological Agency.

Back
Top Bottom