Dive w/ Conch Republic - stay at Marriott?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrogNYC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm doing some research for a spring dive trip to Florida and have heard good things about Conch Republic. I'd like to stay at a Marriott or Hilton for the trip so that I can use hotel points for part of the stay and earn points for the other part. It looks like the Marriott is about 11 miles away from Conch Republic. Ordinarily, 11 miles wouldn't be a big deal if we have a car (which we will), but I'm wondering if 11 miles is too far to drive when you're dealing with a single road environment like the Keys. I realize that the Marriott won't be as convenient as staying at hotels in the immediate vicinity, and I'm ok with that. I just don't want the location to be a major hassle. Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem at the time in the morning you will be on the road...I've stayed in Islamorada (past Conch Republic) and dove in Key Largo plenty of times...

-J.

It's not as bad in the upper Keys as it is in the lower Keys....I've been held up with accidents on the 7 mile bridge, but nothing above that.... you should be fine!

Everything in life is a trade - like you, I'd use the hotel points vs paying hard dollars for a room - Keys are expensive.

The drive is a little long, but pleasant; assuming no accidents, in the AM the traffic is very manageable - no brainer for me - if I can get my hotel paid for in the Keys, I'll gladly allow an extra 15 min's to get to CR on time - plus, the Marriott is a very nice hotel.

absolutely a non-issue. as stated in the above post, excellent dive operator combined with a terrific hotel,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Not a bad drive. It is two lanes of traffic through there. Just watch for the speed traps.

And.....worth it to dive with Conch Republic. My mileage last year from my rental house was 13 miles to Conch Republic, not a problem.

Just did that very thing in October. No big deal. Left the Marriott 30 minutes before report time at Conch. Always made it in 20 minutes or less. The upgraded rooms at the Marriott are very nice. Conch Republic is a great shop.

Thanks, everyone! Now I just have to find a time when a) my husband is not in school (or can skip a class); b) I can extract myself from my 60 hrs/week job; c) the Marriott has availability (at a decent price or with points); d) the sea lice population is low/non-existent; and e) it's not hurricane season :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom