Dive wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking 2 purchase a Dive Rite harness and wing. What is the purpose of having
Dual Power Inflaters? Can the air from the wing expell from 1 inflater and deflater hose? Or does it require 2 hoses? I noticed that some wings come with 1 hose.

KCIREVAM:
I'm looking 2 purchase a Dive Rite harness and wing. What is the purpose of having
Dual Power Inflaters? Can the air from the wing expell from 1 inflater and deflater hose? Or does it require 2 hoses? I noticed that some wings come with 1 hose.
*Most* wings come with a single hose. Only the gargantuan clip-a-Volkswagen-to-your-harness mega-dual-wings have two, from what I've seen. (If you ask this in the Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems, the discussion will likely be more thorough.)

I wouldn't want a wing that large. It'd be downright painful to dive.

The purpose of the dual-inflator wing is to provide redundant inflation/bouyancy. So if you are diving wet w/ doubles, the double-wing can provide a back-up in case one of the bladders or inflators fail. Other options for bouyancy redundancy are to dive dry (you can use the suit for bouyancy if need be) or carry a lift bag w/ enough lift to float you and your gear.

In most cases, the dual bladders are identical to eachother but have hoses coming out at opposite sides. So you can just use one hose like normal (don't see why you wouldn't) or if you really want to you can use both. But the unit should operate normally using the single hose.

KCIREVAM:
Can I cap off one side of the dual inflater hoses?

Any dual inflator wing is going to be two separate air bladders inside a single nylon bag. It is not just about having redundant inflation, it is about having redundant bouyancy control. Hose A will NOT inflate or deflate bladder B, so capping off one side takes one bladder out of service.

I also dive that type of wings.

If you choose, you can just leave the second inflator stowed and not attach a second LP hose. I do this in most cases, but when diving wet I will rig the second LP.

It does NOT double your buoyancy and using both would be most ill-advised. (sorry Battles2a5, but unless I misread your post I disagree ). Since both bladders are in the same shell, the total volume is going to be restricted. I would strongly advise AGAINST using both in any case beyond failure of the first, as then you'll be guessing as to which you will need to empty or fill.

But stevead is very correct in pointing out that capping off the right side inflator will render it useless. The two bladders are independant and unless you're far more flexible than I am, you'll never get it to your mouth to orally inflate it.

In this case, plan (& train) to shoot a bag for redundant buoyancy.

Hope that this helps,

Steve
PADI Course Director
TDI Deco/Adv. Nitrox

Pearldiver07:
It does NOT double your buoyancy and using both would be most ill-advised. (sorry Battles2a5, but unless I misread your post I disagree ).

Pearldiver- I meant that you can inflate both bladders if you wanted to but you are correct, there is a finite amount of space w/i the shell, which is why I said I didn't know why someone would do that. But in any case, no use in inflating both for the same amount of bouyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom