Dive With Martin review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back a few days ago and this time we decided to try these guys. To understand the basis of my review, we are experienced and independent divers who just want a water taxi to the dive site. It's not that "boutique" or "valet" ops don't offer valuable services, we just don't need them or care to pay for them. (We have our own coats and towels, and we keep our gear with us for shore diving.)

To make me completely happy, I want: low cost, online website, prompt response to emails, accurate and complete info, be on time for pickup, run a safe operation, and let me dive my plan (within reason).

The multi-day cost per trip was $65 total. I think that may be the lowest on the island. they want to be paid in cash, preferably dollars.

The website provided almost all needed info and Paddi responded quickly to all emails and answered all questions. (Don't you hate it when you ask 3 questions and you get a response answering 2 of them?) Waivers were emailed with instructions to bring cash (no deposit was collected) and waivers to boat on first morning.

We were told to be at Blue Angel dock at 7:20 and boat arrive 7:35. They are probably used to people "running behind" so no big deal. All 4 days they arrived between 7:30 and 7:35 which is pretty consistent. Every day we dropped our gear at the dock at 7am then had breakfast in the restaurant where we could see the boat approaching several minutes out. Real convenient.

The DMs and captains, like most in Coz, seemed competent and friendly. Briefings were thorough and covered boat info, safety equipment, and safe dive practices as well as site info. The only drawbacks were that captains drive from on top which limits interaction with divers, and we had 2 boats, 3 DMs, and 3 captains in 4 days. A little more continuity would enable better rapport and have you going home thinking of the DM as an old friend.

Water was offered before and after every dive, surface interval was done on the boat, and provided fruit and cookies.

Limits were set at 700psi or 60 minutes but all 8 dives ranged from 65-74 minutes.

The dives were great and the DMs were frequently pointing out fish and creatures. I think most divers like that but I'm into getting video of fish behaviour like courting and feeding, not at all interested in yet another eel or lobster. That might be where having the same DM all week would help. After a few dives of excitedly signaling an eel or lobster, and me responding with an ok and returning to watching wrasses courting, they'd probably pick up on that.

We were allowed to take the boat weights with us for shore diving.

All in all, I'd give them an A.

can you list the dive sites you went to? Thanks

DWM is a good op. A friend of mine has been diving with them for 20+ years. When we needed to change dive ops 4 years ago we had DWM on our list and correspondence with them was prompt and professional. Our problem was we enjoy staying in town at the Casa and would have to grab a VERY early cab south to their northernmost pick-up point. So, we gave 3P's a try in-town just around the block from the Casa with their courtesy transport to the boats and have never looked back. I really enjoy that endless breakfast buffet at the Casa with the Casa breakfast staff that hasn't changed for 15 years now (Jaime, Jimmy and Santa). Can't wait to see them again... 10 weeks and counting as the same 3P's X-mas divers seem to show up every year.

can you list the dive sites you went to? Thanks

Palancar Horseshoe / Yucab
Cedral and Santa Rosa Wall / Villa Blanca
Palancar Gardens / Cedral shallow
Palancar Caves / Clemente

We were asked what sites we wanted every day. I'm not really particular. I don't think the fish know which site they are on and for the most part you could see almost anything on any of them on any given day. Most of the time I deferred to others. The only one I actually requested was P. Caves.

Palancar Horseshoe / Yucab
Cedral and Santa Rosa Wall / Villa Blanca
Palancar Gardens / Cedral shallow
Palancar Caves / Clemente

We were asked what sites we wanted every day. I'm not really particular. I don't think the fish know which site they are on and for the most part you could see almost anything on any of them on any given day. Most of the time I deferred to others. The only one I actually requested was P. Caves.

Nice selection of reefs, imo.

ReefHound where did you do your shore diving?

This time, just at Blue Angel since we stayed there. You can see a lot of neat stuff, pretty much the same stuff as on the reefs (except sharks and mantas) just in fewer quantities and more juveniles. We see more of the stuff that likes grassy areas like yellow rays and sharptail eels.

We swam to the wall from BA a couple of times but it's a long long way (if you plan 500psi out, 800psi back, and 700psi reserve that gives you just 1000psi for the reef). And that's not where you want something to go wrong. Last Monday, right after we got there my buddy noticed a small tank/reg leak. Normally that is not a concern. Not knowing if it was about to go, we aborted and headed back. Best to leave the reefs to the boats and just enjoy 90 minutes or more of relaxation and exploration by shore.

In past trips, we have shore dived at Villa Blanca, Blue Angel, Hotel Cozumel, Hotel Barracuda, and Aldora Villas.

... we enjoy staying in town at the Casa and would have to grab a VERY early cab south to their northernmost pick-up point. So, we gave 3P's a try in-town just around the block from the Casa with their courtesy transport to the boats and have never looked back. I really enjoy that endless breakfast buffet at the Casa with the Casa breakfast staff that hasn't changed for 15 years now (Jaime, Jimmy and Santa). Can't wait to see them again... 10 weeks and counting as the same 3P's X-mas divers seem to show up every year.

ReefHound's dive buddy here. We also like Casa Mexicana and enjoy diving with Tres Pelicanos. Staying close to town is nice. After this trip, Blue Angel has been added to our short list!. BA has an awesome ocean view and also has a free breakfast which is pretty good. The price is right, for sure.

Welcome Watermonkee! Post #1 I see... Keep them coming. Where are you and Reefhound heading next? I think closing out a dive trip is like losing a dog... the only relief to be found is picking up a new puppy (or starting to plan the next trip).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom