divemaster - instructor recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Toying with the idea of getting my DM certification. However, as I haven't taken any classes in the SF Bay area I have no clue when it comes to choice of instructor/dive shop (not interested in becoming an indentured servant for 6 months...).

Does anyone have any recommendations (live in SF so diveshop must be within reasonable commute distance from the city).

Cheers

It can get pricey doing this but it might be worth while to take a couple of specialty classes with different instructors. You get a good feel for their style and may develop a long term professional relationship. I have a couple of instructors who I understand so it will make the DM role easier and more comfortable.

I did my PADI DM at the Anchor Shack in the East Bay (near Concord). It is a bit of a drive for you, but they appear to have a DM class coming up in July. You can see the schedule on their homepage (Anchor Shack SCUBA). I went on to get my instructor cert with them and teach there.

Wallins (Bay Area Scuba Diving -- Wallin's Dive Center-- providing scuba lessons to the San Francisco region) in San Carlos just switched to PADI, so you might look in to them.

Saw this posting and I'm interested in getting my DM as well in the bay area. I've stopped by Anchorshack before and the owner seems laid back. I just gotta get myself to get rescue done quickly and move on. Any more info on Anchorshack?

I know it's tempting to just go with what's convenient, and depending on what you want to do with your DM, that can work. But I agree with BL that it is worth it to get a feel for your instructor. After all, you are likely to be on their staff as a DM for a while if you want to be active. Your instructor's skill, personality and philosophy will determine how quickly you learn, your level of responsibility, how much fun you have, how hard you work, if there are other staff to share the burden, if you work well with them, how safe you are, how often you DM . . .you get the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom