divemaster internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anyone, who have any first hand experience with divecenter dive rarotonga (cook islands) ? I'm planning to do an internship with them. From my point of view they look very professional and are nice people....but anyone here with personal experience with them (and the divemaster internship)....thanks for replying !

Well there you go. Looks like you two need to get together

You better get that Divemaster card long before six months. Set a time limit, two months for the card, then work the last four AS a Divemaster.

If i remember right its tucked back off the road. Really relaxed and a lot of dog friends haha. Dives were great and a cup of coffee after. Everyone there was friendly and talkative. Very fun people and as an american i love hearing all of the different accents and lingo. But the crown of thorns are a big problem there. There everywhere and all the divemasters that i went down with were doing there part to rid them. Nasty little creatures that dont go away easily.

raro is awesome. people are very friendly and laid back. the grog is cheap and the water is warm. work hard, play hard and watch out for the dogs on the road.....and if u get a chance marry a local and stay there :D

i was booked to dive with dive raro but the weather turned nasty and it was a little choppy out so they didn't run the dives. they were very friendly and i had a great chat with them. seem like they have their stuff together.

good luck and enjoy it. you won't want to leave.

I have nothing to add to the actual advice give as all advice above is spot on. I will just speak from experience and tell you that IMO this IS the best way to become a fully trained and well-rounded divemaster...by actually immersing yourself in the industry and working in an actual resort/dive destination area doing a true internship vs. at an LDS. Obviously doing it at an LDS is the only option for some, but for those that have the time and resources, this is the way to do it.

Just be careful as Andy said...I did the same thing 5 1/2 years ago in Cozumel...and I am still here...with a dive operation now!!!!! :) My problem wasn't so much falling in love with a local...but moreso with the ocean and the lifestyle. I decided that my quality of life was more important than earning big paychecks and spending 80 hours a week in corporate/legal America. I don't regret it one bit! Of course it WAS much easier when I was just a DM/Instructor :wink:

Best of luck to you and congratulations!!!! Keep us updated!

Hello,

Just a quick update on whats been going on, since I received my DM card today so its all official.

I'm having a fantastic time, its hard work (early starts and late nights) but so much fun - how can I complain when I get to dive nearly everyday.

I'm living and working with great people and gaining loads of experince in all areas of the industry.

Thanks to everyone that helped make up my mind to do my internship and with Dive Rarotonga.

When you are looking for a dive company for such a comitment it's a bit of a daunting task, so all the help and information you can find can make a difference, thankyou for anyone that helped me.

In my case I have now seen how different companies have different standards. Often over here dive boats are left unattended on anchor during dives. We always keep someone on board watching bubbles, I admit it's not the most interesting part of my job, but it just seems safer.

So, I'm glad I chose the company I did. As for my limited advice, all I can say is that for anyone else intending to do an internship get as much info as you can before you choose!

I'm here for a couple more months in the sunshine, so if you happen to being coming to Raro come and say hello.

Oh, and AndyNZ thankyou in particular, lots of info which has been really useful.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom