Divemaster training/internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is not a fair statement to make. Standards are low at shops that have low standards, and those can be anywhere based on the professionalism and integrity of the staff, not of the location. I enjoyed my DMT immensely in Thailand, and do not have a single complaint for my program. I had the pleasure of learning from several quality instructors, experienced working with many excellent DM's, and made many new friends. I wish i could do it again actually.

How can you say what I have said is unfair. Everything I say on this forum is a true account of my experiences, yes yours may differ.
But having recently engaged in dialogue/dived with 6 Pattaya dive shops, and was treated badly in one way or another at all of them. I have during my time diving gone on trips in the UK and Europe with numerous operators and not witnessed such poor service.
So I repeat, IN MY EXPERIENCE standards in Europe ar far higher.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I am still gathering information, although the time I am looking at has changed somewhat,(well changed a lot, until things shake out, I'm not sure when I will be free) As I said I am not stuck on Phi Phi, but somewhere in the area does sound quite nice.

I figured I would gather as much info as I could and just check out some places once I get there. That way I could get a feel for the vibe of each place. Especially as I have never been to Thailand.

I have worked for the last 18yrs and an instructor in another field, so I do understand a little about what everyone has been talking about. However this board looks like there are some very knowledgeable people, so thought it would be one of my starting points.

Personally I wouldn't make up my mind on a specific DC untill I actually arrive in Thailand, my advice would be to try out the shops before you commit yourself to too much, this way if you are unhappy with what you see you can simply move on.
Also if you are considering doing multiple courses, why not think about using more than one DC always makes for better instructors/divemasters in my mind, with a broader base of experience than those that have the limited experience from one DC and one resort. And apart from a training point of view you will get more enjoyment from diving a bigger variety of dive sites.

Personally I wouldn't make up my mind on a specific DC untill I actually arrive in Thailand, my advice would be to try out the shops before you commit yourself to too much, this way if you are unhappy with what you see you can simply move on.
Also if you are considering doing multiple courses, why not think about using more than one DC always makes for better instructors/divemasters in my mind, with a broader base of experience than those that have the limited experience from one DC and one resort. And apart from a training point of view you will get more enjoyment from diving a bigger variety of dive sites.

sounds like good honest advice!

:fro:

Hi there,

I've been living in Thailand for the past 13 months, starting my DMT program with a great company on the west coast of Thailand in Khao Lak. Wicked Diving has a great training program and the diving is top notch (Similan Islands Liveaboards!!).

After completing my DMT, I was offered a job in Koh Tao at Big Blue Diving. I've been here for 10 months working as a Divemaster and now an Instructor. I have to say that if you are looking to do alot of dives, enjoy a great team, meet loads of fun people and gain great experience, have a look at the Big Blue Divemaster link and the Internship link on their website.

Divemaster:
Big Blue Diving - Koh Tao - Thailand - Divemaster

Internships:
Big Blue Diving - Koh Tao - Thailand - Internship Programmes

Have a peek and if you have any questions, send me a PM.

Paul

hiya!

Lots of good advice here so no point in repeating it !

I live and work on Koh Tao as a dive instructor so if you do come this way - be sure to message...always happy to help with local info etc....

Ayesha

Just another misguided sales pitch no doubt.

Can't be a sales pitch, Rainbow Reef does not charge thousands of dollars to participate in the Internship program, like the dive centers in Thailand do.

Can't be a sales pitch, Rainbow Reef does not charge thousands of dollars to participate in the Internship program, like the dive centers in Thailand do.

And last time I looked at an atlas Florida was a few thousand miles away from where the op wanted to do his training.
Unless Thailand has now become another state in the USA?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom