Divemasters in Cozumel (and specifically with Dressel Divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkEsq

Cthulhu Hunter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious what the divemaster situation is like in Cozumel. I've been to places where DMs are required by law and places where you can run off on your own (with an insta-buddy or maybe even solo). And where DMs are required, I've experienced cozy groups of 2-3 divers per DM and larger groups of 8-10. What's typical in Cozumel? We'll be diving with Dressel Divers. If the groups are typically larger, would people recommend paying to have a private guide for just the 3 of us?

Last time I stayed at Iberostar (Oct.'22) & dove with Dressel (great outfit) we had approx. 22-24 divers on the boat with 4-5 DM's. They made 4 groups of 6+/-. All was very safe.

Just curious what the divemaster situation is like in Cozumel. I've been to places where DMs are required by law and places where you can run off on your own (with an insta-buddy or maybe even solo). And where DMs are required, I've experienced cozy groups of 2-3 divers per DM and larger groups of 8-10. What's typical in Cozumel? We'll be diving with Dressel Divers. If the groups are typically larger, would people recommend paying to have a private guide for just the 3 of us?
DMs are required to accompany divers in the marine park, which includes most of the sites, and most (all?) ops put DMs in the water with divers even when diving sites that are not in the park. Six divers per DM is typical.

Depending on the operator, your demonstration of expertise, your possession of a safety equipment, how well the DM knows you and a wink and a nod, a buddy pair can slip away from the group without recriminations.

Sorry, @scrane, but this is something I do not recommend, regardless of experience level or comfort. Despite any safety concerns, it puts the Capt and DM in a terrible spot potentially needing to lie to a marine park warden, the port master, or the shop's owner and explain "I don't know what happened, they just got separated from the group." Forced to wonder, how many times a DM can get away with this before the jig is up.

Dressel Divers (DD) is a big cattle boat operation. I've recently dived with them and they have 8 divers per DM. With four boats and 20-30 divers per boat, they're taking all those divers to the same site each trip., two boats each leaving 15 minutes apart. They operate on a fixed schedule with dedicated sites for each day of the week. IMO, you wouldn't benefit from a private guide because DD is an intern mill. DD is where DMs and deckhands get their training and they are from all over the world. DD also has multiple locations around the globe. So, your DM most likely will not be from Cozumel and is not intimately familiar with the sites and its critter locations. This was my experience. I also overheard DMs give a misidentification of a fish or critter or say the name of the fish incorrectly, like fish parrot instead of parrotfish.

If I remember correctly, Dressel Divers (DD), as mentioned, will have upto 24 divers per boat. The marine park requires a Dive Master (DM) for every 8 divers. They will have 3 DM's in the water.
DD has a fixed schedule of locations and limits dives to 50 min. You are NOT permitted to separate from group. Must lbe within sight of DM/group. You go back to resort after every dive and fo SI there.

Edit: The bottom of web page has dive sites listed by day. Thursday is show here for example:

Dressel Divers (DD) is a big cattle boat operation. I've recently dived with them and they have 8 divers per DM. With four boats and 20-30 divers per boat, they're taking all those divers to the same site each trip., two boats each leaving 15 minutes apart. They operate on a fixed schedule with dedicated sites for each day of the week. IMO, you wouldn't benefit from a private guide because DD is an intern mill. DD is where DMs and deckhands get their training and they are from all over the world. DD also has multiple locations around the globe. So, your DM most likely will not be from Cozumel and is not intimately familiar with the sites and its critter locations. This was my experience. I also overheard DMs give a misidentification of a fish or critter or say the name of the fish incorrectly, like fish parrot instead of parrotfish.
I have also dove with them a few times (I believe I got my intro to scuba with them many years ago but most recently in 2022) and unfortunately it has become like this. Generally nice people with decent service and equipment but the boats are absolutely packed to the point of just switching tanks is a bit of a frustrating exercise. Also had a DM on like her 3rd day there that dropped us in the wrong spot on a drift dive which we couldn't swim through so the group just stayed together as the DM swam off and we resurfaced down the reef. No one in the group cared too much other than a bit of a wasted dive but probably not how things are supposed to done.

My wife and dove with Dressel in May last year and February this year. The boats have a lot of people on them, no doubt, but they are also very large boats and we didn't have any issues in terms of space. Typically there were three groups with 6-8 divers each. That being said, we had only four divers in our group on one dive, and that was a noticeable difference underwater, in terms of the dynamic.

We had great experiences with the DMs, other than one who wanted to go through the reef at warp speed (we mentioned that to her politely and the next dive with her was fine). I do wish they would mix up the sites more.

Overall, love the setup at Iberostar and happy with Dressel, so that's where we will go back when we go to Coz.

You many want to look for a smaller dive op that can pick you up at the pier. The small ops provide a more personal service and usually take less divers per divemaster. Dive operators with great reviews and service are Blue Note Scuba, Scuba XOC, Cozudive, Ocean Nomads

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom