Diver Attrition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abysmaldiver:
Unfortunately, I think this situation can be be blamed on the instructor and or dive shop. If the initial experience of diving, either confined water class or ow check outs, is not the best experience the student ever had they will not become "hooked". The way alot of instruction is being held these days is to get the students in and out and gobon to your next job. If you make it an extrodinary expericnce the students will have the same love for the sport as you do. There will still be a drop out rate but not near as high. Another thing that can help is that if someone owns their own gear that will encourage them to stick with it. Not that I am condoning the fact that most lds pressure people into purchasing an entire set of gear but it helps. One last thing that is very important is if you can keep that student in the water after ow checkouts, that is several more dives during their first year, the chances for them sticking with it are far more greater. This is all speculation though.

I disagree. What about the "life happens" factor? Most newly OW certified divers are young people, "foot loose and fancy free." They have the time and resources to to make the committment. They're pretty much there own person without many other responsibilities. Then "Life Happens"; marriage, (non-diving spouse) kids, careers, home mortgage, etc. Priorities change. This really came to light for me when I attended a Meet and Greet with SB divers. I was the old man in the bunch by a wide margin. Most of the divers there were young (oldest may have been 35) and single. When "life happens" for them, I'm sure that some priorities will change and in many cases diving will become second place or disappear for a period.

Quote by jpsexton:
"I've heard that before also but when I read it I just can't understand it. How can you make such a commitment going thru OW class and then just quit."

I'll bet your young and independent. If "life happens" for you, you will understand how this can come about. Agreed, some won't make the adjustment and then problems can happen. One of these days, I'm going to post the question asking how many hard core divers went through relationship problems, (divorce, separation, breakups, financial difficulties) because of their passion for diving.

I don't think we can blame poor instructors or dive shops, or bad trips. You can have the greatest diving experience ever when you're first certified; but when that new infant comes into your life, or you have to go to school to advance your career, or that special someone who does not dive pops in your life---well, life happens.

my $.02

I guess I was in an unusual class then ... there were four of us in my OW class two months ago. I met up with two of them at the quarry last weekend and found that I have the least dives of the three of us, with 15. I know the other two were at least doing vaction dives, with family, so all four of us at least went beyond initial OW cert dives.

I think the instructor could make a big difference. Our instructor was both informative and personable. He had a way of wording something that could have come out as "that's a stupid thing to do" that didn't make you feel that you were being stupid, but let you know that it was important, if that makes sense. And, upon completing the class he offered help to everyone during the LDS sponsored Wed. night quarry dives.

Barracuda2:
Most newly OW certified divers are young people, "foot loose and fancy free.

I would like to know how you qualify that statement.

Breakdown in ages in my OW class this spring:

20's: 4
40's: 4
50's: 1
60's: 2 (could be late 50's, I wasn't gonna ask :huh: )

Interestingly enough one of the 20 year olds dropped out of the class.

Barracuda2:
Quote by jpsexton:
"I've heard that before also but when I read it I just can't understand it. How can you make such a commitment going thru OW class and then just quit."

I'll bet your young and independent. If "life happens" for you, you will understand how this can come about.

Well, I like to think I'm still young :wink: but I am married and have two teenagers one of which starts college in a few weeks. I guess thats why I look at it as such a commitment because for me it was.

I do understand what you are saying though " life happens" and changes everything sometimes. The figures I heard though were more like some people don't even come back and pick up their C-cards. I guess allot more people do this on a whim than I would have ever thought.

scratchmyback:
I would like to know how you qualify that statement.

Breakdown in ages in my OW class this spring:

20's: 4
40's: 4
50's: 1
60's: 2 (could be late 50's, I wasn't gonna ask :huh: )

Interestingly enough one of the 20 year olds dropped out of the class.

I qualify the statement through observation and experience. In the 48 yrs. I've been connected with diving, by far the majority of new divers that I've come in contact with over the years are no longer connected for a variety of reasons. I use to assist an instructor friend of mine with his classes. After OW cert., he tried to maintain contact with students by putting together trips to the Fla. springs, or the Keys, or Great Lakes. Very few took advantage and for many, the quarry OW dive was their last dive. All were young. I don't think you can come to a definitive conclusion based on the makeup of one OW cert class. The three 50's-60's are probably baby boomers like me who have the means and the health and desire to try something new. I guarantee that if research into the 1970's and 80's as to the makeup of cert. classes, you won't find very many over 25 years of age.

Barracuda2:
The three 50's-60's are probably baby boomers like me who have the means and the health and desire to try something new..

That's my target audience.

Barracuda2:
I guarantee that if research into the 1970's and 80's as to the makeup of cert. classes, you won't find very many over 25 years of age.

I was the oldest at 27. My instructor was 49

Ron

Ron Brandt:
That's my target audience.

That's where the time and money is today. Go get 'em!

I was the oldest at 27. My instructor was 49

Ron

That's what I'm talk'n about.

Barracuda is correct, in principle.......

Over the years, and I have been diving a few, I have certainly noticed that there is a "diving gap" that seems to occur at the point in life where individuals assume personal, financial and family obligations that are limiting in terms of personal flexibility. In short, they do not have the time or the extra money to invest in additional equipment, training and travel to scuba dive. This may be simplistic, but what I've seen, and experienced to some degree, is that people usually begin diving at a younger age. Sometimes via college courses, etc. They may or may not continue to be active divers. Then they get married, or assume greater personal and professional responsibilities that are limiting in terms of discretionary time. This leads to less, sporadic, or no diving at all for a period of time. Usually indefinately. Then after a period of time, "the divers" emerge again (kids gone, etc) as the mature group of divers who have both financial and time flexibility to pursue and enjoy what we all love....diving!! After all, the 60's are now the new 40's. I have the good fortune to belong to one of the oldest existing and active dive clubs in the United States. We have active divers in their 70's which certainly will be diving into their 80's! Anyway, that's off subject.....Barracuda2 is correct.......there is a diving activity gap that seems to be associated with the assumption of responsibility, both financial and family, that inhibits diving temporarily, or permanently, during the normal maturing process within our society.

Regards,

My life experience to diving fits what Cudabait says almost exactly. I learned to dive when I was 20 years old. Did quite a bit of diving for the next 4 years until I met my wife to be (non-diver). Got married, had 2 kids and 14 years later I only had logged about 12 dives or so. The last two years I have re-commited myself to diving again taking Nitrox and Drysuit classes along with more local diving.

Cudabait:
Barracuda is correct, in principle.......

......there is a diving activity gap that seems to be associated with the assumption of responsibility, both financial and family, that inhibits diving temporarily, or permanently, during the normal maturing process within our society.

Regards,

Bingo! As a matter of fact, even though I have dove pretty steady over the years, (lot of local, Great Lakes, and in-state destinations) the pace has definately picked up over the last 15-18 years. My kids are on their own, my mortage is gone, my rental, video, and photography businesses are doing ok---they feed my diving---and most of my trips when I'm not diving local are out of the country. Now, at the age of 63, I'm experiencing my boyhood dreams: Truk/Chuuk, Dec. 2005; Palau/Yap in March, 2007, besides all of the other great places. One of my greatest dreams was to go diving with my son. He was certified when he was 14--did about 4-5 OW dives and then "life happened" for him. He is now retaking the PADI course at the age of 32 and we will be diving Bloody Bay Wall, Little Cayman, together in only 8 weeks. Man, I get a rush just thinking about it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom