Diver dies in Port de la Selva, Catalunya Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickobcn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Very little information so far.

Mor un bussejador al Port de la Selva

Article is in Catalan (for if the link goes dead)

Un bussejador ha mort aquest divendres al Port de la Selva, segons ha confirmat Salvament Marítim. Els serveis de rescat han traslladat el cos al port de la localitat, on l'ha atès un equip de metges que n'han certificat la mort.

My basic translation:
A diver has died this Friday in Port de la Selva, the Marine Rescue service has confirmed. Rescue services transported the body to the harbour where a medical team certified the death.

---------- Post added ----------

A bit more information has been made public.

Un submarinsita alemany mor al Port de la Selva

For if the link goes dead:
"Un submarinsita alemany mor al Port de la Selva

01/06/2012 Els fets han passat cap a dos quarts de tres de la tarda, quan un turista alemany d'uns 70 anys feia submarinisme amb una altra persona al davant de la zona del Moll Gros, al Port de la Selva (Alt Empordà).

Sembla que el submarinista, de nacionalitat alemanya, s'ha trobat malament quan era sota l'aigua i ha sortit a la superfície. Un cop ha pujat a la barca, el seu company ha donat l'alerta i una embarcació de Salvament Marítim s'hi ha desplaçat per portar-lo fins al port, però l'home ha mort sense que l'hagin pogut reanimar.

És el quart submarinsita que ha mort aquesta primavera al litoral de Girona. A l'abril en van morir tres. Un, precisament al Port de la Selva, i els altres dos, a Palamós. El mes passat també va perdre la vida una banyista a Colera i un altre ciutadà alemany, a Castelló d'Empúries, mentre feia surf de vela."

Again with my basic translation:

A German diver dies in Port de la Selva

The incident happened at 2:30pm, when a German tourist of some 70 years was diving with another person in front of the Gros Wharf area in Port de la Selva (Alt Empordà).

It seems that the diver, a German National, began to feel unwell while underwater and he ascended to the surface. Once he had returned to the boat, his buddy alerted the Maritime Rescue boat which arrived to transport him to the harbour but the man died and was unable to be revived.

He is the 4th diver to die this spring off the Girona coast. In April, three died. One in Selva and two in Palamos. Last month a swimmer died in Colera whilst another German citizen died while windsurfing in Castelló d'Empúries.

---------- Post added ----------

Another newspaper article from a Spanish paper.

Fallece un buceador alemán de 70 años en Port de la Selva | Cataluña | EL PAÍS

Additional information includes:
- The German national was a resident of Port de la Selva
- The diver died whilst trying to remove his "wetsuit" (I've put here wetsuit because the article says "neopreno" but MY SPECULATION would be a semi dry as the water is still quite cold here).
- He is the FOURTH diver to die in LESS THAN TWO MONTHS off the Girona coast whilst diving.
- On April 26 a 54 year old diver disappeared during a dive and was later found on the sea floor in Palamos (Baix Empordà)
- On April 11 two divers from two distinct groups dived in Palamos and Port de la Selva, they were 41 years old and 60 years old respectively (this was already reported on this board)

What a sad start to the diving season here in Catalunya. I had not heard about the death on April 26th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom