Diver dies Martin County Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeyFla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today's sad news indicated a diver 39 years old felt ill after a dive 3 miles south of the St Lucie Inlet. He was diving with his brother which ran the boat in...stopped inside the St Lucie Inlet and adminisered CPR before making back to Sandsprint Park in Stuart. Pronounced dead at Martin Memorial South.

Another diver is missing in another incident in about 70 feet of water near the Martin/Palm Beach county line. Coast Guard and others are searching this afternoon. Hope he has better luck and is found.

WPTV web site reported a little more details: "PORT SALERNO, FL--A 39-year-old man has died after coming up from a dive off of the St. Lucie Inlet this afternoon.

The Port St. Lucie resident was out on a dive for lobsters with his brother, about three miles south of the St. Lucie Inlet, around 1 this afternoon.

Both men came back on the boat after the dive and the 39 year old reported feeling tired. His brother reported to authorities that shortly after the man went into cardiac arrest. His brother performed CPR and returned the boat to Sandsprit Park where they met with medics.

The man was then transported to Martin Memorial where he was pronounced deceased.

Martin County Sheriff's Office is investigating.

Coast Guard officials searching for a missing diver 5 miles east of Jensen Beach, just off the Port St. Lucie inlet was found safely by Martin County sheriff's units, safe. "

I heard the Coast Guard picked up the diver with their chopper on the VHF.

This was a mini season related death? That's just tragic. Any details of his dive experience/history? Man, with all the chaos amid a two-day scramble for bugs, I'm starting to understand why a lot of people avoid getting in the water during this event.

Yes it's Mini Season Related death. I took vacation intending to go diving south of the Saint Lucie Inlet. However, I didn't feel up to diving alone and with the storms rolling in early... I decided to stay home. Anyway, I dove the area a couple of weeks ago scouting out the reef and found someone had poached a bunch of lobsters... I found more than a dozen of twisted off lobster heads. I did see one huge lobster... but those dye hards get in the water at midnight.... I'm sure it'd be gone by the time I got there.

WPTV web site reported a little more details: "PORT SALERNO, FL--A 39-year-old man has died after coming up from a dive off of the St. Lucie Inlet this afternoon.

The Port St. Lucie resident was out on a dive for lobsters with his brother, about three miles south of the St. Lucie Inlet, around 1 this afternoon.

Both men came back on the boat after the dive and the 39 year old reported feeling tired. His brother reported to authorities that shortly after the man went into cardiac arrest. His brother performed CPR and returned the boat to Sandsprit Park where they met with medics.

The man was then transported to Martin Memorial where he was pronounced deceased.

Martin County Sheriff's Office is investigating.

Coast Guard officials searching for a missing diver 5 miles east of Jensen Beach, just off the Port St. Lucie inlet was found safely by Martin County sheriff's units, safe. "

I heard the Coast Guard picked up the diver with their chopper on the VHF.

Thanks for the further information. Did the CG pluck the diver out of the water?

Yes it's Mini Season Related death. I took vacation intending to go diving south of the Saint Lucie Inlet. However, I didn't feel up to diving alone and with the storms rolling in early... I decided to stay home. Anyway, I dove the area a couple of weeks ago scouting out the reef and found someone had poached a bunch of lobsters... I found more than a dozen of twisted off lobster heads. I did see one huge lobster... but those dye hards get in the water at midnight.... I'm sure it'd be gone by the time I got there.

The poaching is getting out of control. I assume the poor economy has something to do with the trend.

This was a mini season related death? That's just tragic. Any details of his dive experience/history? Man, with all the chaos amid a two-day scramble for bugs, I'm starting to understand why a lot of people avoid getting in the water during this event.
They lose a lot of "divers" to mini-season every year, but it's good for business so it continues.

The good news is that the missing diver was found safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom