Diver Eco-Tourism and the Behavior of Reef Sharks and Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gene_Hobbs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We recently posted this paper to the RR Repository and I thought you guys might find the comments interesting:

Lobel abstract:
This paper addresses the issue of the expanding tourist dive industry that is focused on seeing sharks and other elasmobranchs. The two competing approaches involve baiting and feeding sharks and rays verses natural observations without feeding. In terms of shark feeding dive operations, there are two main questions: 1) How safe are divers on tourist operations that attract sharks and rays using bait? 2) How is the fish's behavior and ecology being affected by this interaction? The broader issue is: what is the best practice in terms of conservation and ecology? I offer some observations on shark behavior and suggestions for future scientific research.

Full paper can be found here:

Lobel PS. Diver Eco-Tourism and the Behavior of Reef Sharks and Rays an Overview. In: Brueggeman P, Pollock NW, eds. Diving for Science 2008. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 27th Symposium. Dauphin Island, AL: AAUS; 2008. RRR ID: 8012

Please keep in mind that Rubicon has negotiated copyright for our holdings. Our copyright holders keep finding these documents on personal web sites. This is making it MUCH harder for us to get access to new material. Feel free to link to what you need but please don't assume this information is available for your own sites. Short links are provided on the site to make this easier. Thanks! --The Rubicon Team

The divers who partake in shark feeding activities are supprisingly safe. Compare the numbers to divers who die from entering overhead environments. Or divers who descend past 130ft. I think you see where I'm going with this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom