Diver fatality at Nacimiento Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldnotdead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
KSBY News San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, Paso Robles - Drowning victim on Lake Nacimiento Identified
I don't know if I linked this properly. This station is not known for accurate reporting, so it may be some time before the whole story gets out.
My sympathies to the families.

This is a local lake that was very busy at the time of the accident.
There was no mention of the level of certification.
OND
Entanglement after diving to 60 ft with a partially filled tank. Sounds like one successful CESA, one not.

from your link...
30-year old Patrick King of Lockwood died on Sunday morning while diving to salvage a recreational boat that sunk the day before. King was an employee of Forever Resort which is located on Lake Nacimiento.

King along with another Forever Resort employee tethered themselves together before entering the water. While scuba diving for the boat that was 60-feet underwater on Bee Rock Cove in Lake Nacimiento the tether tangled with a line that was attached from the salvage boat to the sunken vessel.

The San Luis Obispo County Sheriffs Department says that King didn't have a full oxygen tank because of a dive he had gone on earlier in the day. After King ran out of oxygen his partner shared his breathing equipment for a while. Eventually King's partner surfaced and called for help. King later surfaced unconscious and was given C.P.R. prior to paramedics declaring him dead at the scene.

Forever Resorts says the two divers were both certified.
from More details emerge in Nacimiento death - Breaking News :: Major - SanLuisObispo.com
The man who died Sunday while diving to salvage a boat at Nacimiento Lake has been identified as 30-year-old Patrick Donald King, according to Sheriff’s Department officials.

King of Lockwood, near Lake San Antonio, and his diving partner, 18-year-old Daniel Burgess of Paso Robles, may have become tangled in lines used in the operation, according to sheriff’s spokesman Rob Bryn.

The men had permission to retrieve a private boat that had sunk at the Bee Rock Cove area as part of their work for Forever Resorts, which handles marina operations such as boat rentals at the lake, company spokeswoman Darla Cook said.

Burgess was flown to UCLA Medical Center and released Monday afternoon after receiving treatment, according to family members.

County sheriff-coroner investigators continue to examine diving equipment and conditions that led to King’s death. It appears that a tether that linked King and Burgess became tangled in another line between the salvage boat and the sunken vessel, Bryn said in a news release.

“King ran low on air and was attempting to ‘buddy breathe’ with Burgess when there may have been an equipment failure that caused Burgess to jettison his dive gear and begin to surface from below 60 feet,” the release stated.

Bryn defined the term buddy breathing as the two men sharing one oxygen tank.

Burgess was able to surface and call for help; King later surfaced unconscious and was given CPR before paramedics declared him dead at the scene, according to sheriff’s officials. King’s autopsy is scheduled for today.

Burgess was treated in a hyperbaric chamber for ascending too quickly from deep water, according to his mother, Karen Burgess.

Cook said the group of employees at the marina is close, and counselors were brought in to help staff deal with King’s death.

“He was a valued team employee here,” Cook said. “He was very well-liked.”

Cook said some of King’s family members worked for the company as well, and she asked for privacy from media interviews as they dealt with his death
Excerpting from an earlier story http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/0...s-at-nacimiento-lake.html#storylink=mirelated
Bryn said that area is known for having poor visibility.

Read more: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/0...o-lake.html#storylink=mirelated#ixzz0wFMp6McH

Sounds like a bad dive plan to me.

Errors I see:
Diving to 60 feet on a partially filled tank
Neither diver had a knife or other cutting tool capable of cutting the line they brought with or was already down there?
They were diving on pure oxygen at 60ft (stupid media)

Doesn't sound like either diver had a gear failure, other than an OOA, but rather that Burgess left his gear/air down there with King so he could untangle himself, surface and get help.

Sounds like a bad dive plan to me.

Errors I see:
Diving to 60 feet on a partially filled tank
Neither diver had a knife or other cutting tool capable of cutting the line they brought with or was already down there?
They were diving on pure oxygen at 60ft (stupid media)

Doesn't sound like either diver had a gear failure, other than an OOA, but rather that Burgess left his gear/air down there with King so he could untangle himself, surface and get help.
Well, news reporters are infamous about just reporting generalities of stories without attention to fact or details. We're not sure if they had cutting tools really, and the tanks were probly filled with plain air but reporters often say "oxygen" by mistake.

Diving on a partial tank was an error in my mind, yes. The rest could have been entanglement in bad viz complicated by panic I'm guessing from what we see in the reports as they are.

It doesn't mention whether the two divers had appropriate underwater recovery training and certification. Recovery operations are best left to professionals.... Condolences to the famliy and hope the resort has a good lawyer and insurance...

Visibility at this lake is generally bad, less than 5'. The level of training may have compounded the situation but there is no info on this. I hope that this was not a situation where a diver wanted to "help out" and decided to overreach his abilities.

If these guys were employees of the resort, or hired by the resort, Cal-OSHA will get involved and the fines will be huge. There are very strict rules for paid salvage recovery and these guys violated most of them.

On the other hand, a volunteer is exempt from the safety rules, but not the laws of physics. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom