Diver fights off shark - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... All I can say if when you in real life witness a shark at speed you will quickly realize how powerful and fast they are when they want to be and how powerless you are.

mmmbelows,

Oh, I believe it. I've always had a great respect for the powers of nature.

What I'm getting at is that this videographer stuck around UNTIL the sharks were that close. If it was me, I wouldn't just stick around, video them, and wait till they get closer.

I do love animals though, sharks included. Maybe someday, I'll look into doing one of those cage shark dives. Have you done those before?

I love reading advice from people who heard from a guy who knows a guy, whose instructor once saw a shark... :D

You want to watch the shark, act aggressive (or at the very least do not try to run from it), and poke the crap out of it, if it gets close enough to do so.

Of course some people are easily scared, resort to screaming, yelling and flailing around and swearing profusely.

That was pretty much me this weekend.. my buddy is trying to catch 400 lb bullsharks with 1200 lb test monofilament leader and a big hook and a barracuda and my "job" is to jump in alone while snorkeling, wear a go pro on my head and catch the "action". I had no bait or fish on me, just an unloaded speargun.

After the initial "excitement" I try to load the gun and "think" about shooting a cobia from the middle of the sharks.. But the opportunity does not come.

Raw stupid clip I was going to keep private, but what the hell..FYI, the wide angle of the Go Pro makes everything look considerably farther away than they really are. When you see the white chins of multiple, excited sharks coming upward at you hard, fast and in competition with each other.....These guys are not mistaking me for a fish..

warning: Audio is Not SAFE FOR WORK.

[video=youtube;gmaIu8eu4Tk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmaIu8eu4Tk[/video]

... If I recall, he didn't have any fish on him as he sent it to the surface either with a bag or using the fish's now inflated swim bladder. The shark was, IMO, going to attack him and given the species, probably eat him.

I disagree with your instructor that you should keep your catch away from your body. The shark wants the fish, but it doesn't want to get injured. If it sees an opportunity to separate you from the fish then it will take it and now it's in full blown unpredictable frenzy. Best to protect your catch and leave.

Thanks for sharing his story. I'm glad he survived. But your friend did keep his catch away from his body via the bag or the bladder, and the shark still attacked him. Wow...

---------- Post added January 12th, 2016 at 08:14 PM ----------

I love reading advice from people who heard from a guy who knows a guy, whose instructor once saw a shark... :D

You want to watch the shark, act aggressive (or at the very least do not try to run from it), and poke the crap out of it, if it gets close enough to do so.

Of course some people are easily scared, resort to screaming, yelling and flailing around and swearing profusely.

That was pretty much me this weekend.. my buddy is trying to catch 400 lb bullsharks with 1200 lb test monofilament leader and a big hook and a barracuda and my "job" is to jump in alone while snorkeling, wear a go pro on my head and catch the "action". I had no bait or fish on me, just an unloaded speargun.

After the initial "excitement" I try to load the gun and "think" about shooting a cobia from the middle of the sharks.. But the opportunity does not come.

Raw stupid clip I was going to keep private, but what the hell..FYI, the wide angle of the Go Pro makes everything look considerably farther away than they really are. When you see the white chins of multiple, excited sharks coming upward at you hard, fast and in competition with each other.....These guys are not mistaking me for a fish..

lmao @dumpsterdiver :p Thanks for sharing the video. I've been known to be calm and collected. The first time I was stationed in Hawai'i, we used to do training in (and over) Kaneohe Bay on Oahu. It's a breeding ground for hammerheads. I remember doing helocast training (jumping out of the helo) then finning back to shore with all our gear, knowing that we were in the same water as the hammerheads. We used to do SPIE rigging and other helicopter training over the Bay too. I remember the first time I looked down from the helo and seeing a bunch of tiny looking hammerheads way below us, swimming like little sperm cells. I wish Go Pros existed back then.

I didn't hear that advice from somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody's instructor. As I mentioned earlier, I had just gotten out of the water, when my instructors and my other buddies came across the nurse shark, also in Hawai'i. If I wasn't so bad at sucking down air, I would've seen it too. I did get to taste it afterwards though :wink:

Knot Sane certainly a suitable name

Ahh, Jim you participated in that thread too. It wasn't my grandmothers cousins sons nephew who shared that story. Not my friend either and I always clarify "not from personal experience" Just pointing out you're not as defenseless as some make it sound when equipped with the right tools.... But anyway...

You're freaking nuts man!!! Hanging on the surface while someone is fishing for bull sharks below. What's wrong with you!!! Get out of the water!!! :D

---------- Post added January 13th, 2016 at 04:45 PM ----------

Now I'm curious. What would have been the "right" gear for whatever it was you thought you were going to do?

The right gear would be a floatline attached to my (loaded) gun and also some decent flashers to attract the sharks. Then the sharks and cobia might have stayed around long enough to spear a cobia. 3-4 buddies to watch my back would have been nice and I was wearing a 5 mm suit and brought no weightbelt since the 149 cu-ft tank is so damn heavy. I was not prepared for any snorkeling - he said it was a scuba trip.

This is more what it looks like when you have the right gear (and you edit the video to remove the retard factor and add music).

[video=youtube_share;2sT8Vwyw0ew]http://youtu.be/2sT8Vwyw0ew[/video]

[video=youtube_share;AqbEhr8-1rc]http://youtu.be/AqbEhr8-1rc[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom