Diver Impact on reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelly7552

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
While organizations like Global Underwater Explorers and Do-it-right exist to dispense philosophies of dive equipment, is there an organization devoted to teaching divers how to minimize their impact on the reef? I have some specific questions like 1) what’s the impact of non-reef safe sunscreen for divers 2) do popular swim throughs in places like the cayman islands inhibit reef creatures and should we as divers avoid doing this popular diving practice? 3) As stronger lights become more popular at what point are we harassing the fish population and changing the reef dynamics? 4) Does using strong lights on night dives ‘blind’ nocturnal reef creatures putting them in jeopardy? 5) in the world of every diver having a gopro, how close is harassment and what diver behavior is over the top?

From my perspective I’d love to understand how I can leave the reef in the same condition as I found it and what practices as a diver that I should avoid….

Interesting question. Not entirely answering your question, but I know there are groups like REEF (http://www.reef.org/) dedicated to diving and ocean conservation. Regarding a couple of your questions, I know of a well-known photographer in Cayman who only shoots with natural light because she is convinced that the strobes bother the subjects. Regarding swim throughs, a lot of guide books advise not to exhale or minimize exhaling as much as possible under an overhang, archway, or swim through because the air bubbles could damage sponges.

I'll be following this thread as I'm interested as well.

1 - I don't see sunscreen impacting the reef as much as you might think. Think of all the other pollutants in the water, and then think how few people are ever around a reef at all. It would be so diluted it would have little, if any, impact IMO. This should come down to just personal conservation of anything though. If you feel strongly about it, wear reef safe sunscreen and advise others to do it as well without offensive about it. It just takes one person's opinion to change someone else's mind.

2 - It depends on the swim through. If they are highly decorated or have delicate corals growing on them, stay away if you aren't able to get close enough to them without damaging them. As for the air bubbles, if they get trapped in a coral, they can cause local die-off in that particular spot. But also think of the odds of this happening. Think of the strong ocean currents, waves, etc constantly moving the water, fish, critters and coral around. It's highly unlikely a bubble will be trapped in a coral unless someone is just sitting under a swimthrough venting off tons of gas.

3 - Again, how many times do the fish get harassed over their life span? Chances are a fish that got a flash in the face or a flashlight in their face is never going to be seen again by the time the next group of divers come by. Sure there are resident fish in some nooks and crannies, but if it bothers them, they will move. That's how fish are. They don't stick around if they are being bothered or threatened. The only argument against this is on night dives, we see when we're out lobstering at night, a lot of fish are either stunned at the bright light, but quickly adjust and swim away or they are attracted to the light and want to see what the light is (some follow us, its quite amusing). Some fish, while they may appear stunned, are actually sleeping and won't notice anyway. I can also observe this in my own reef aquarium as well when looking for stuff in the rocks with bright lights.

I wouldn't say they are in jeopardy as it's probably does the same as it does if your buddy shines their light in your eyes at night..its blinding for a moment (remember, you're also prey in the ocean) but your eyes quickly adjust and you're fine. I wouldn't suggest just burning a hole in the poor fish or critter with your light, but general swimming around looking at stuff isn't really impacting them as much as you might think.

5 - As for the gopro comment, or any other photograph device... if the fish don't like it, they will swim away until you leave. They aren't going to remember you being there in a minute anyway and will go back to their task of doing whatever they were doing. And as stated above, chances are that one fish will probably never be seen again by divers to be "constantly harassed" (unless its a big resident grouper or eel or something that stays in one place..and they aren't the least bit worried about you).

If you want to learn about reef conservation, join a local reef group for your area, or start a reef aquarium and learn that way (most cities have local reef/aquarium groups as well). It's an incredible thing to watch and care for a living reef and learn how it functions in a smaller environment. You would be surprised how hardy they are for some things and how delicate they are for others.

The best way we can protect our reefs is to make people aware of damage to it...via anchors, fishing, boating, and the BIGGEST thing...keeping divers off the bottom! One "oops" just killed 100's of organisms that took many years to grow :(

Hope that helps some.

Excellent Post! I have recently had many of the same questions. Specifically, questions #3 - #5. Have LED dive lights become to bright?

The lens on the GoPro requires you to be extremely close to the subject to get the shot. Maybe too close?

So two issues got me thinking about this, on a dive yesterday I saw two divers petting a turtle, the second issue was thinking about popular dive sites like the north side of little cayman with popular sites having probably 30 divers in a 24 hour period (morning afternoon and night dives) and the effect of that on local fish populations, as many of the local fish are territorial and they have the 'pleasure' of 20-30 divers a day visiting them

I was angry about the turtle and it got me thinking about what I can do as a diver to keep the reef in the same condition as I found it. In my 115 dives I've seen DM's inking octopii (gee look what happens when you harrass an octopus!), I've seen divers squeezing porcupine fish to demonstrate their blow up. In a perfect world I'd love to see these idiots lose their certification so they can never dive again, or at least have to think about the impact they are doing to the reef....

I think if we could just get nobody to actually touch anything or feed anything that would be a huge success and that would go a longer way than most of the minor issues.

There is a show on the Discovery channel called "World without People" these logic, hypothesis and computer animation to discuss and show how the world would change over different time frames if every person on the planet suddenly vanished. I'd like to see them do a show on the oceans. I'd bet in just 50 years the oceans would be a completely different place, totally mind blowing on how much life would come back at all levels.

Excellent Post! I have recently had many of the same questions. Specifically, questions #3 - #5. Have LED dive lights become to bright?

The lens on the GoPro requires you to be extremely close to the subject to get the shot. Maybe too close?

If you're wanting to do stills without bothering the fish by being all up in their space, a proper camera should be more of what you want. GoPros are nice, but it's first and foremost a non zoomable/focusable video camera that just happens to also do stills... not exactly the best thing for this use.

A cheap used ebay camera (I like Canon's) and a used or even brand new housing (Again I like Canons) will cost about the same or less than a GoPro and take infinitely better stills. If it floods, who cares, get another used one for a few bucks.

So two issues got me thinking about this, on a dive yesterday I saw two divers petting a turtle, the second issue was thinking about popular dive sites like the north side of little cayman with popular sites having probably 30 divers in a 24 hour period (morning afternoon and night dives) and the effect of that on local fish populations, as many of the local fish are territorial and they have the 'pleasure' of 20-30 divers a day visiting them

I was angry about the turtle and it got me thinking about what I can do as a diver to keep the reef in the same condition as I found it. In my 115 dives I've seen DM's inking octopii (gee look what happens when you harrass an octopus!), I've seen divers squeezing porcupine fish to demonstrate their blow up. In a perfect world I'd love to see these idiots lose their certification so they can never dive again, or at least have to think about the impact they are doing to the reef....

I think it's incredibly wrong to make an animal display it's defense mechanism. It makes them completely vulnerable to predators until they "reset". I've seen one DM completely pick up a puffer and keep poking at it until it puffed up. Poor fish :(

I also think, in the case of the turtle, so long as the animal has an out and it's not trying to hide, if they want to interact with people, by all means, let them. But don't crowd the poor thing and leave PLENTY of room for him to swim away when he's tired of it.

It's like with our Manatee dives we do every year. If the manatee comes up to you, you're allowed to pet them, touch them, etc. It doesn't bother them at all, some even enjoy it and will rub up against you. But we're not at all allowed to pursue one in any way or chase it into it's protected people-off-limits areas.

If I see a turtle or nurse shark just chilling, I'll go get a picture of them close up. If they are trying to hide in the rocks, or swim away, I leave them alone and swim away from them as well. It's just about respecting the animals. Think about the days of being a kid and poking your sibling while they cried STOP HES TOUCHING ME MAKE HIM STOP MOOOM!...same for the fish and critters LOL

I first dove off the shores of Maui in 1968 -- I last dove off the shores of Maui this past spring. Yes, there is a huge difference. There have been many studies of the reefs over the intervening 45 years and even though there IS a lot of diver traffic, the consensus has been the diver impact has been minimal.

The impact is from "civilization at large" i.e., development leading to run off of oh-so-many things.

Where there has been "diver impact" on the reefs, it would be commercial impact -- dynamiting reefs, taking predators which allows other species (crown of thorns starfish for example) to multiply, and such. I highly doubt that recreational diving has had much of a direct impact at all.

For more information, you might contact Todd Hitchins at the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. ( Todd.hitchins@noaa.gov ) Todd administers the Blue Star program, which certifies dive operators to teach divers and snorkelers how to interact with the reef in a non-destructive way. ( Blue Star Program ) The Blue Star program addresses exactly the concerns you have, although it is focused on the FKNMS, it is exportable to other parts of the world.

It's worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom