Diver Pet Peeves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RooLuvsToDive

Registered
Reaction score
As a new diver, I'm just curious what pet peeves all of ya'll have, as experienced divers??? From reading the postings, I know silting is one.....what else do I need to be ESPECIALLY sure not to do---before, during, or after a dive??? :whack:

during the dive be aware of divers around you so not to kick there mask/reg out.:eek:

Not in any order

1 Divers with poor buoyancy that kick up sand and damage reef.
2 Dive Alerts being used underwater
3 Divers that use spear guns, should use them on themselves :arrow:
4 Divers that throw (Puke) up into the wind on Dive Boats
5 Divers that have no regard for their own or there buddies safety
6 Divers that forget pieces of there equipment like a mask or a fin and only realize once the boat is an hour offshore
7 Divers that harass the sea life
8 Divers that are not streamlined and let there gear drag in the sand and over reef
9 Divers that expect there buddy or DM to do everything for them
10 Divers that do not expand there knowledge of this sport past Open Water novice stage and get themselves into a position that will kill them because of it.

Sydney_Diver pretty much summed it up with his post. Of course, being a fairly new diver myself, I would never do any of those things, right? Right!!! :angel:

I will always be striving to perfect my diving skills.

Whatever you do, don't come up with wild and crazy stories. I know one guy who claims he used to help with the Navy Divers. Well, he's got s$%t for buoyancy so I dont' see how he could ever have been near the water, nevermind diving. I would rather see someone silt up the bottom, say afterwards hey, I need help on my buoyancy, can you help me, then have someone with wild stories.

Now, I get mad if I hear he may be anywhere around when I go diving.
<sigh>

Most can be considered common courtesy. Sidney Diver covered alot of the most frequent peeves. Bad finning techniques are always first on everyones list for good reason.

These are some of the things I come across that make me peevish. As a new diver....
1. Try your best. I gladly dive with new divers and will help them improve their after cert. skills. But you are wasting my time if you don't try to learn from your experiences or mine.

2. Be on time. Whether you are meeting other divers are a local site or boarding a dive boat. And don't get bent out of shape when we continue without you.

3. Buy and use dependable gear and keep it in good working order. Nothing is more frustrating than diving with someone whose gear is always breaking down or needing field service. In todays sue-happy society, I no longer tweak and repair others gear on site. If your octo is always free flowing, get it fixed. Don't keep showing up and expecting me to tweak it for the days diving. And no, you can't use my spare reg.

4. Learn to pack the gear you need and bring spares in case something happens. I have extra fins straps and a spare mask for my use, not yours. And extra fin straps ( even o-rings) cost me money so if you have to have them, at the very least pay me for them. I much prefer you cover your own a$$.

5. SECURE YOUR GEAR! There's absolutely no excuse for your gauges and octo to be swinging in the breeze. Clips, retractors and octo holders don't cost that much...buy and use them. You'll damage the environment and your gear. This is one of my biggest pet peeves and one of the biggest signs of a new and/or careless diver.

6. Learn from those around you and don't be afraid to ask for help. Honest efforts to improve your skills will be viewed as a strength, not a weakness.

7. Be honest to yourself and others about your abilities.

8. Remember that Anyone can abort a dive at Anytime for Any Reason. You may not feel well, you may feel the dive is above your comfort level or you may just have a 'feeling' not to do a dive. Doesn't matter. The final choice to get in the water is your, no one elses. My peeve is those who try to pressure their buddies or others in the group to continue to dive.

Recently developed pet peeve – Divers that want to tag along on a quarry dive with inadequate thermal protection. Hey, look around, if everyone else is wearing 7 mil wetsuits with hoods or dry suits there is probably a reason. No, we are not all wimps, it’s cold in there! Then when you get cold and have to go up or end the dive it means that your buddy or buddies have to go with you. No you cannot swim up by yourself, while I may never dive with you again I am going to stay with you until you safely get out of the water.

Thanks, I feel better now.

Mike

Many have been mentioned, silting, gear all over the boat, taking my spot because I moved for a second, but here's one not mentioned,.....waiting your turn to board and at the last second as you're reaching torward the ladder - zoom - someone cuts right in front of you :doctor: , now that's a peeve that will never be pet!

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom