Diver sues for being left behind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's what you get for not sending him out with 'extra' weight. This really is a bummer though. It's a good boat, and a good shop. Also, how will they determine which dive buddy was responsible for losing the other? I dove with Andy and I can't even imagine that happening with him. Anyway, off my soapbox...

You know what amazes me about this is not that the diver is suing for $4mil, but that he's suing for only $4mil. If I could put a price on my life it would be a hell of a lot higher than $4mil. Imagine floating in the ocean for 4 hours thinking that you'll never see your wife, kids, family and friends ever again, that your time was up on this earth due to some idiot that didn't do a roll call. i think he should sue for at least $10mil. This is something that you expect to read about happening in a remote tropical area or see really poorly done movies based on, not something that happens in our backyard. I hope he gets every penny and more!

Billy

You know what amazes me about this is not that the diver is suing for $4mil, but that he's suing for only $4mil. If I could put a price on my life it would be a hell of a lot higher than $4mil. Imagine floating in the ocean for 4 hours thinking that you'll never see your wife, kids, family and friends ever again, that your time was up on this earth due to some idiot that didn't do a roll call. i think he should sue for at least $10mil. This is something that you expect to read about happening in a remote tropical area or see really poorly done movies based on, not something that happens in our backyard. I hope he gets every penny and more!

Billy

You need three things for a valid lawsuit:
1) negligence
2) damages
3) some basis for attributing 2) directly to 1)

Too often, people assume two out of three is enough. In this case, there may or may not have been negligence, but what are the damages? Sunburn? A few hours of panic? It is a matter of putting a price on those things, not on his life since he didn't die. The "price" of his life simply doesn't enter into the equation. You sue for what happened, not what could have happened.

It's a common misconception that you can sue for what MIGHT have happened. You can't. He MIGHT have died, but he didn't. Someone can install a crappy electrical system in your house that ALMOST burns your house down and kills your kids, but if it is discovered before any damage is done, you have no case other than to sue for the cost of having a new one put in.

If the negligence is egregious, however, you can sue for punitive damages, as someone noted, even if you weren't hurt. This punishes the defendant so that he/she is dissuaded from "almost" killing the next guy (or, in fact, actually killing the next guy). As the lawyers on this board will tell you, however, getting the court to consider negligence "egregious" enough to go punitive is a tough hurdle and is rarely accomplished in cases like this.

Of course, one can always make the case that the "pain and suffering" of four hours of panic is worth something (forget the skin cancer, that's baloney), but not four million. Thus, I am not completely unsympathetic to this person, but be reasonable. A quick out-of-court payment of ten or twenty thousand dollars is probably a just outcome, but millions? That's just lawyer's hype to get national attention.

Finally, like Austin Powers, we can sue for "one mill-ee-yun dollars", but if they ain't got it, who cares? Does any dive op carry millions of dollars in insurance, or have millions in assets? I am asking, I don't know, but when I did surgery, I only had 300,000 max coverage for any one incident, so I can't imagine a dive operation carrying more than that.

As a general rule, juries rarely award more than what the insurance will cover in routine negligence cases, unless a baby is involved, some horrible death results, or some huge, deep pockets corporation is involved. Thus, if the operation is insured for x dollars for such an incident, that's likely what's the max given. So this diver isn't going to retire on this.

Also (something their lawyers rarely tell them), the plaintiff can expect to see money from this in, oh, five to ten years, unless a mediated settlement occurs quickly. As we see, years have already passed and the suit has barely gotten underway.

The real problem for defendants in such cases isn't paying the claims, it's paying the lawyers.

In my rush to post (and thereby boost my count in my effort to catch up with DandyDon), I failed to remember that this incident involved the Sundiver dive boat. Although I have never dived that boat, those I know who have speak very highly of it and its captain (Ray). It is a shame that this incident involved that vessel. My support for the right to sue after being abandoned should not be construed as a comment on the dive boat and its operation, just on the principle in general.

I want to be on the jury.

Sounds like a case that should be decided for the plaintiff.

Damages? IMHO, refund of the cost of the trip.

Of course, no scuba divers will be allowed to be on the jury.

Roll call starts when you get off the boat. If there wasn't somebody keeping track of who was getting off/on the boat I wouldn't go. sorry. he should have known when he got off nobody was paying attention. maybe his dive buddy could sue him back for leaving him in the first place.

The vessel was using a roll call system from what I've heard/read so I'm not sure why you'd say no one was paying attention. Again, my understanding is that on the check-in, the divers buddies answered for him. So there was a system and staff were apparently paying attention. Whether staff were paying enough attention is another matter. And were these staff from the dive boat itself, or from the group that chartered the boat?

The vessel was using a roll call system from what I've heard/read so I'm not sure why you'd say no one was paying attention. Again, my understanding is that on the check-in, the divers buddies answered for him. So there was a system and staff were apparently paying attention. Whether staff were paying enough attention is another matter. And were these staff from the dive boat itself, or from the group that chartered the boat?

for some reason I was under the impression there wasn't a roll call.

Talk about monday morning dive mastering huh? geesh, I will be quite now. It will be interesting to see how this comes down though. If somebody did say 'here' when his name was called could they be held liable too?

In defense of the Sundiver I've been on it a few times even for a over nighter & we never lost a diver.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom