DiveRite Hurricane vs. Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonnyGreen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I rescently ordered a Dive Rite Hurricane but was shipped the Jetsteam. The seller has offered to let me keep the Jetstream at no extra cost, or they can resend the Hurricane. I rescently used both at a Dive Rite demo and did not like the way the Jetstream breathed. It felt like I was breathing through a straw. Is this typical of the regulator or were the regs I was using used/abused and out of balance?

I typically do cold, fresh water dives (local quarry/Great Lakes).

I have heard that the maintenance kits on the Jetstreams are extremely expensive.

Dive Rite's web site says:
For safety reasons the second stage cannot be used with a standard downstream first stage as this would eliminate the overpressurization valve (OP valve) altogether.
Does this mean that I cannot attach a standard second stage to the DR first stage?

Any insight available to help me make this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

well i would be happy with that situation... the jetstream is a more niche' product, but either should suit you for what i can see you are doing.

the jetstream will give you more future options but will also cost more to maintain

The jetstream is DR's high end reg. It is upstream so i dont think you can attach a downstream 2nd to it. All in all I would love to be in that situation, it'll do anything you'd ever need it for.

Dive Rite's web site says:
For safety reasons the second stage cannot be used with a standard downstream first stage as this would eliminate the overpressurization valve (OP valve) altogether.
Does this mean that I cannot attach a standard second stage to the DR first stage?

Hi DonnyGreen,

Thanks for your question.

It is the 2nd stage that is important here... as it is an upstream design if there is a creep in intermediate pressure or a failure in the HP seat there is nothing to relieve that pressure. So on the old Jetstream a special hose with an OP valve on it was used to relieve the pressure. The new Jetstream DR has the OP valve located in the first stage rather then the hose, which means you can use any standard LP hose with it: SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Jetstream DR

You can use any downstream 2nd stage on the 1st stages with both the old or new style Jetstream because the downstream 2nd stage will open up and free flow if there is a failure or a creep.

You CANNOT however use the new Jetstream DR 2nd stage with any 1st stage that does not have some sort of OP protection, due to its upstream design.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Ag

Haven't dived the Jetstream. But own two Hurricanes. They are the easiest breathing, most comfortable regulators I've ever used. Some people have reported they thought the mouthpiece was a bit small. I didn't find that to be a problem. Even if you are a large mouth replacing the mouthpiece is cheap and easy.

Me? I'd do the Hurricanes.

Thanks all! Ag, I really appreciate your explanation.
I have also heard that they (Jetstream) are not only expensive to service, but they also require an experienced tech to do the work. Has anyone had theirs worked on? If so, who was able to service them and at what cost?

Thanks,
DG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom