Question Diverite Nomad Ray vs Nomad LS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to get into sidemount diving and need to buy my first harness. I'm currently looking at the Dive Rite Nomad line, but I'm a little stumped at the discontinuation of the Nomad LS. Is the Nomad Ray supposed to replace the LS, and if so, is it a significant upgrade?

I see many used LSs around and would love to scoop one of those up instead of springing for a new Ray, but I'm hoping to learn more about how the two compare and any tradeoffs associated with each.

For what it's worth, I'm interested in using sidemount for open water diving and perhaps eventually in cave country, but that would be far down the road. My diving will be predominantly in FL. Thanks in advance!

Wet.

Rental steel HP100s and aluminum 80s are both available where I dive. On backmount I've had a preference for steel HP100s.

If you're looking at FL diving you'd primarily be diving steels, if you're looking at going to Mexico at any point, you'd likely be diving AL80s.

I have had both. I still have the Nomad Ray.
I dive steel LP 85's in a drysuit.

Would love to hear your thoughts
I am far from an expert on sidemount..but in my experience the Ray just came from the factory ready to dive and required very little adjustments. I think the DR dudes tested it over and over and made, what feels like to me the optimal SM rig.

My 2 bars on the Nomad LS vs Ray

Nomad LS
+ Using Chest Strap is more comfortable and possible to use Dive Rite Ring Bungee System
- Not some with weight placement, additional item to purchase
+ Corrugated Inflator is on the inside, and i think it's on better placement compare to Nomad Ray (Nomad LS coming from a bit down, while Nomad Ray coming via your armpit)
+- Butt Plate (i like to use the Butt Plate to clipping the stage, and use it for some emergency scenario drill

Nomad Ray
+ Very easy to adjust (second Capt Jim Wyatt - it's ready to dive), tend to spend more time adjusting Nomad LS compared to Nomad Ray (I have rental rig for people to try)
+ It have different harness stiffness, more comfortable to be use
+ the d-ring is especially the butt area is comfortable :D
+ Come with multiple color

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom