Divers embrace anti-shark device???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw something on this years ago but it was a clunky device and didn't really work so well. The documentary showed it working better in a closed environment like a pool because the electric waves bounced off the walls and confused the shark. In open water, it was ok, but not fool proof. It appeared that it worked best at very close distances.

My opinion on this is that I would not be against having it with me, or having it available for those in need of it. I don't think Surfers and Fishermen are interested in shark encounters. As a diver, I would welcome a certain shark sighting, but since after all these are wild animals and could blow fuse and attack whether for exploration or intent, it certainly would be nice to have a device that could protect you. Since the working distance is 16 to 26 feet, I think that leaves plenty of opportunity for distant shark sightings, which are the best. If you are diver in search of a shark encounter, you probably won't be on their target market list.

I suppose if I were a surfer or otherwise imitating seals in and around the surf zone, I might look into it. But, like 99.9% of divers, I look so out-of-place underwater that I doubt even a shark with it’s eyes closed is going to mistake me for it’s normal lunch.

rpayne:
Anyone see this on CNN's web site

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/02/21/spark.shark/index.html

What do you all think??

As far as I knew Divers didn't have that much a problem with sharks....

Plus who would want to do such a thing... sharks are cool to look at...

Rob

This was originally developed (as the article suggests) in South Africa for repelling the Zambezi shark. These sharks can swim in fresh water, and go up the Zambezi river where the water is shallow, and the population does a LOT of fishing using traps that they build in the water, so the fisherman are in the water.

The Zambezi shark is very aggresive, and they have been known to attack and eat people unlike most other sharks that generally attack people mistaking them for prey, don't seem to like how we taste, and most often do not finish the meal.

Seems like a reasonable solution in area's where shark attacks are common especially for surfers and swimmers.

RonFrank:
The Zambezi shark is very aggresive, and they have been known to attack and eat people unlike most other sharks that generally attack people mistaking them for prey, don't seem to like how we taste, and most often do not finish the meal.

Just curious, but can you provide more info on this? A quick internet search shows that the 'Zambezi' shark is the same bull shark seen in other fresh-water rivers around the world, and I couldn't find anything to suggest that they 'eat' humans any more than other sharks. Since they do hunt in murkey waters, there is a higher likelyhood of a human being attacked by accident, but I'm not convinced we are on their menu. There are dive shops that do shark dives with the 'Zambezi.' They can't be too much of a maneater, can they?

Thanks,

The Discovery Channel special I saw recently seemed to imply the bulk of the Zambezi shark attacks came after some fisheries opened near the resort-type beaches, several decades ago. Regardles, the incidents always seemed to involve beach swimmers, surfers, etc. who look like seals from underwater. Not divers.

Bulls are one of the more agressive sharks and have their fair share of attacks. Even so, they are rarely a danger to divers. I don't think it's a necessary addition to my gear bag.

I wouldn't bother with this because with my luck, right when a shark came into my area, my battery would be dead! :11:

rpayne:
Anyone see this on CNN's web site

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/02/21/spark.shark/index.html

What do you all think??

As far as I knew Divers didn't have that much a problem with sharks....

Plus who would want to do such a thing... sharks are cool to look at...

Rob
Go to Shark Shield for more on the product. As to its usefulness, I have no personal experience of Shark Shield but one of our local (Sydney) dive shops says they use it when diving in parts of the SW Pacific - apparently, the sharks can get very curious during stops and Shark Shield just stops them getting too close. They use two sets, one on the deco stop and one under the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom