Divers Riding Whale Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's in very poor taste to take the photos riding the whale shark, and it most definitely should not be an approved practice, but kidnapping somebody who is otherwise peaceful and tossing him in a cage over it is a bit over the top imo.

Even though the attached video is not of the actual event being discussed, it is irritating.

If you can’t see the hypocrisy that one of the few places on earth where you can get thrown in jail for riding a whale shark, is the same place in the world with the dirtiest river on the planet, and responsible for the killing of millions of marine life, then it’s really not worth arguing with you.

If you can’t see the hypocrisy that one of the few places on earth where you can get thrown in jail for riding a whale shark, is the same place in the world with the dirtiest river on the planet, and responsible for the killing of millions of marine life, then it’s really not worth arguing with you.

Yes, Indonesia should improve its environmental practices.

NO, Indonesia should NOT weaken its marine park protections to match the crappiest level of laws on its books, just to avoid "hypocrisy."

If you are advocating that a government change its laws so that they match the crappiest laws on its books, because its important to avoid "hypocrisy" --- I suggest that you're placing WAAAY more importance on hypocrisy than it merits.

Looking at the video I do not see a shark continuing to feed. I see it taking in water which it must do and it kinda looks like it's gulping to me. Also, the side to side movement of its head also gives me the impression it is in some distress. It might seem subtle, but these sharks are slow moving.
Again, this is my opinion.

Maybe having laws against touching marine life is overkill. An abundance of caution. Im cool with that. I support it.

Because what's the interest on the other side of the scale? Giving people the benefit of acting like fools.

Believe me, if it were completely impossible to ride wild animals, most of us would not suffer one bit for it. Only the jackasses would be missing out.

Looking at the video I do not see a shark continuing to feed. I see it taking in water which it must do and it kinda looks like it's gulping to me. Also, the side to side movement of its head also gives me the impression it is in some distress. It might seem subtle, but these sharks are slow moving.
Again, this is my opinion.

You could be right. I realize I have no clue what a whale shark in distress might look like.

I don't believe in touching any wildlife in their habitat. I feel very fortunate to be able to observe these animals and I don't want to do anything that may harm them or the environment. The only thing I will do is spear Lionfish in the Caribbean and only if there is the option to cook and eat them afterward. The video is upsetting in my opinion.

People get arrested for riding whale sharks? I am all for keeping the ocean pristine but thats rather ridiculous IMO

It's quite simple in this specific case; the LOB rules say "look, don't touch", and it's a Marine Park covered by more rules & regs. Simple, don't do it, or face the consequences.

I've seen other intentional touching/interaction on LOBs inside marine parks and have overheard the subsequent justification for that and wondered 'what planet are you from'.

One parallel I see between those responses and your arguments and statements in this thread is the 'I know better / who are you to tell me what to do' attitude, but in fact you are no marine life expert.

I for one, find that approach to marine life quite repugnant, and I regard myself as a mere visitor there to observe. Again, quite simple really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom