Diversity further west of Papua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello:

I have a question that I hope a marine biologist may be able to answer.

For years I have dived in PNG, the Solomons and the Coral Sea. I guess you could say I’ve been lucky as I’ve seen some wonderful and stunning marine life.

Lately I’ve been hearing lots of praise for anything west of PNG and have read many comments saying that diversity increases the closer one becomes to the Wallace Line. I decided to dive the Philippines and was very disappointed at the locations I dived – yes there were critters, but no fish – the locals having bombed, poisoned or eaten them all!

Which brings me to my question. Is the diving that much BETTER closer to Wallace’s Line, or is it similar to PNG. In other words am I wasting considerable time and money chasing better locations than what I can find and dive in PNG?

I realise this is an open ended question and really there is no answer – but I’m curious as to what other may think who have dived PNG and areas of Indonesia, Borneo, West Papua etc……………Iain

iainwilliams:
Hello:

I have a question that I hope a marine biologist may be able to answer.

For years I have dived in PNG, the Solomons and the Coral Sea. I guess you could say I’ve been lucky as I’ve seen some wonderful and stunning marine life.

Lately I’ve been hearing lots of praise for anything west of PNG and have read many comments saying that diversity increases the closer one becomes to the Wallace Line. I decided to dive the Philippines and was very disappointed at the locations I dived – yes there were critters, but no fish – the locals having bombed, poisoned or eaten them all!

Which brings me to my question. Is the diving that much BETTER closer to Wallace’s Line, or is it similar to PNG. In other words am I wasting considerable time and money chasing better locations than what I can find and dive in PNG?

I realise this is an open ended question and really there is no answer – but I’m curious as to what other may think who have dived PNG and areas of Indonesia, Borneo, West Papua etc……………Iain

After diving Walindi I did a little research looking into diving the unknown/not popular places, specifically West Papua. All I could come up with is the fact that there are no facility's for divers in that part of the world (YET). You would have to be totally independent compressor etc and how you would get there is anybodies guess maybe hire a chopper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom