Dives per Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any guidelines for maximum time underwater per day, or something similar? I'll be taking a dive vacation in a couple of weeks, and planning on doing 2-3 dives per day, all at 60ft. or less, and most at 40ft. or less. I assume that if I take long surface intervals, and do what my conservative Cobra tells me and stay within the NDL limit, I should be okay with even more dives.

Maybe the long time compartments become the limiting factor, and at some point you need to stay out of the water for a long period to make them decay? Or maybe a limitation on how long the tissues can continuously be subjected to higher N2 levels?

mccabejc:
Are there any guidelines for maximum time underwater per day, or something similar? I'll be taking a dive vacation in a couple of weeks, and planning on doing 2-3 dives per day, all at 60ft. or less, and most at 40ft. or less. I assume that if I take long surface intervals, and do what my conservative Cobra tells me and stay within the NDL limit, I should be okay with even more dives.

Maybe the long time compartments become the limiting factor, and at some point you need to stay out of the water for a long period to make them decay?

Jim,

Fortunately, there are no such rules.

This fact allows those of us who are crazy (sorry, dedicated) enough to spend all day underwater if we can.

You have put your finger on the real limiting factors. Depending upon the deco algorithm you are using, your slow compartments will be the limiting factor, based upon your off-gassing or surface intervals.

Just remember, your computer cannot be bent, and most, if not all, computers do not have settings for such things as your personal level of dehydration. For this you have to apply your own judgement.

Your proposed dive program sounds conservative, and like a lot of fun as well. Have a great time!! :wink:

P.S.---Bring back some good pics to post!

Rob Davie

mccabejc:
. . .I assume that if I take long surface intervals, and do what my conservative Cobra tells me and stay within the NDL limit, I should be okay with even more dives.

Maybe the long time compartments become the limiting factor, and at some point you need to stay out of the water for a long period to make them decay? Or maybe a limitation on how long the tissues can continuously be subjected to higher N2 levels?
As just said, computers do not bend. You have a grasp on the simple deco theory, the problem is that it is much more complex to the point of the experts not having it figured out yet. Slow compartments can become the limiting ones, but the other compartments may not be resonding as the computer assumes ... especially since the compartmental theory is just a mathematical calculation. So, do what you already know and is preached here ... stay well hydrated ... take some nice surface intervals, do really slow ascents with deep staged safety stops ... and limit your post dive activity.. With that said, I think your suggested dive plans sound good ... so enjoy!

Hello mccabejc:

I would only amend the above response to "limit your strenuous post dive activity" Nothing strenuous, actually. :crafty:

Some activity is good since it promotes circulation. Sleeping between dives during the day is not a good idea as it slows circulation. (If you constantly toss and turn while asleep, possibly sleep is not really that bad for you.) :06:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Just for reference:
It isn't at all uncommon for divers on Liveaboards to do 5 dives per day(including one night dive) for a week with no ill effects. Those dives typically include depths much greater than what you appear to be contemplating.

BUT, as others have said pay attention to your own body. Some folks, including me, often need to sit out a dive or two mid-week to insure safety and to keep it fun.

A second on the pictures request.

Back
Top Bottom