DiveTech Denied Permit to Expand Lighthouse Point Operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What some ops seem to do is have a trailer with a large holding tank(s) which they fill at an off site compressor and then drive to near the boat and fill all the individual tanks in situ.

Having worked in Grand Cayman I'm not a big fan of this, although I can see the advantages you mention. The biggest drawback is that in-situ filling from an air trailers tends to take quite a bit longer than swapping tanks out.
Not really an issue at Yacht Club where each boat has its own spot, but at West Bay Dock where multiple operators use the very small dock it can be an issue. You can end up with boats 'hogging' the dock while filling (even with all operators trying to work together as best they can), especially at the busy times when all the boats come in and depart.

Agree completely. A trailered bank is not an ideal solution.

That is particularly true since Dive Tech is also one of the few ops with robust support for technical diving. They need the ability to blend and do fills other than air and EAN32. Not being able to do that onsite adds further complications. And, between shore diving at Lighthouse and running two boats, they have a lot of cylinders to fill.

When DT was also at Cobalt Coast, they had a fill station. It didn't bother me even when I had a room nearby. It was a big loss when that went away and it's amazing that they've been hauling cylinders around to get their fills ever since. It is a looong drive, often in bad traffic.

It is easily doable to soundproof the compressors and also to have a plan about when to run them if it turns out they generate much noise.

I'm 100% in favor. Dive Tech is a great op that has been a good "citizen" of the island. God speed on the appeal.

Hi Everyone,

While I of course cannot comment on the substance of the issue until the appeal is settled, I would like to address a few comments.

While we do fill tanks for 3 other operators, this is a very minuscule part of our filling operation. At most, it amounts to 1% of our monthly tank fills, give or take. With our current compressor station in an industrial area, the current logistics allow for after hours drop off and pickups of tanks, but that is purely for convenience of the operations who use our service. There is a simple solution - the ops we fill for either need to drop off and pick up during normal work hours, or we simply stop doing it.

And we have. We understand noise and quality of life issues associated with noise. The Divetech owner has said many times that we will be more than happy to amend plans as needed.

I'd love to comment more, but am unable to add more details until such time as this matter is completed. I will however add, that Divetech's current owner is very community-minded. We partake in many efforts to better the Cayman Islands and the local community. Most of these things you will never hear about, as they are not for publicity, but to make our home a better one for locals, residents and guests. This potential new location for us is no exception.

Tony

@Divetech Cayman I've been reading about recent construction at Lighthouse Point, was DiveTech successful in getting their permit application approved? What changes are being made and when is it expected to be completed?

Hi Kathy,

The properties immediately adjacent to Lighthouse Point on either side have buildings going up. But neither of these have anything to do with us, they are completely separate projects. The property just north of us will have a similar name - Lighthouse Point Residences, but it's not us.

Our proposal is in appeal. I can't comment on specifics, but we are very confident this will move forward.

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom