DiveYak anchoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pweder

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at purchasing a dive yak. but I know little about them and have never seen them used and am wondering how you anchor them while you are on the bottom diving

My personal opinion is a rigid kayak has many advantages over an inflatable. Either way how much wave action and current plays into the type of anchoring system you use. Having a cleat is a big help. I have a line minder with 200 feet of line and a 5 pound anchor with 2 1/2 feet of chain. Typically the chain holds the two kayaks in place. For us it is life threatening to not be able to return to our kayaks, since we do not have many entry and exit points, with big waves and cliffs to prevent coming ashore elsewhere.

You might consider towing it behind you as you would a surface float. A kayak tows easy.

N

I would recomend that you just tow it but if you really want to anchor it then you should consider a screw anchor if you'll be diving in shallowish water. You start your dive by going to the bottom and screwing it into the sand and then you end by going down and unscrewing it.

On the gulf coast in FL, shallow water, low current, and good weather I clip my Scrambler to my Dive Rite TranPac and barely notice it is there. We typically swim off shore and swim a compass route back in to departure point.

On the gulf coast in FL, shallow water, low current, and good weather I clip my Scrambler to my Dive Rite TranPac and barely notice it is there. We typically swim off shore and swim a compass route back in to departure point.

I do the same thing, but when it is a little rough, I attach a 10 foot length of bungie cord purchased from Ace Hardware to the anchor line. It acts as a shock absorber and you don't get jerked around as much.

I would tow one of these like a float if I were you...
The Mokai - Mokai Manufacturing Inc.

Interesting concept, nice try but without a self bailing cockpit it would be likely to sink. I bet it would make a great anchor though.

A good paddle yak is probably nearly as fast, self bails and can carry the dive gear you need as well.

N

And a bit cheaper. For the same price you could get an inflatable and outboard and carry more dive gear and a buddy. And an anchor.

And a bit cheaper. For the same price you could get an inflatable and outboard and carry more dive gear and a buddy. And an anchor.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. :confused:

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom