Divi Divi Weight restrictions Aruba to Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

Excitedly packing this weekend for our trip coming this Wednesday...10 days in the Lessers. We fly to Aruba for a few days of winding down and then 7 more in Curacao for as much diving as we can handle. QUESTION:

Divi Divi notes a strict restriction for dimensions and weights. My ScubaPro mesh dive travel bag is perfect for all our dive gear fins, snorkel, masks, bcd's and we come out at 37.5lbs. Their restriction is 39lbs. Dimensionally, however, we blow it. I'm beyond the 67cm restriction by a few cms but I can scrunch the bag up to meet the length requirement, but the width and depth are a little problematic. How super strict are they with my fellow divers and their (at times) cumbersome luggage? Essentially the ScubaPro mesh roller will compact in size but I'm still paranoid on the return trip. Who has dealt with their large bag up-charge? How restrictive is it. They say Space Available if the bag blows the limits. Can any of my fellow divers shed some light for me please?

Thanks..swim

So everyone here flies direct from their major US or Canadian city? No puddle jumpers from Aruba? Wow that's surprising.

I have done it but it was so long ago that I don't remember. I know my checked was within limits and my carry-on was a couple kilo over. I just carried it like it was light and they didn't check. Don't know what the current situation is.

Never flown Divi so can't help you out on your specific questions. From friends who live on CUR and fly DIvi, there advice was book an early flight and don't be surprised if flight times change multiple times or simply cancel hence the reason to start with an early flight. Check flight times regularly on the flight you do book on.

As an aside there is an agreement and plan for high speed ferry service but not the money or boat to get it going. Would be nice someday between CUR and BON.

Please report how it goes. I have thought of using that route with ff miles to Aruba to save a couple of grand in tickets.

Please report how it goes. I have thought of using that route with ff miles to Aruba to save a couple of grand in tickets.
Exactly what we are doing Snoweman, flying Southwest for free, Divi runs $427 for the two of us. If Aruba Air could get back on our return date earlier we would have taken it. If this trip ends up rocking we will come back to Aruba a day earlier and will have no weight restrictions other than the 50lb restriction of Aruba Air.

In the Aruba airport. Checked 17kg dive bag with wife and I's gear plus two 15kg bags. The gate agent said check the two heaviest under the restriction limit of 16kg and then gate check my 12kg bag plus two light carry ins (regulator bag and our beach bag). Worked flawlessly and we paid no extra fees... if you have Southwest miles you can fly to Aruba for free and then fly to Curacao or Bonaire for under $500 round trip per couple. Thinking outside the box is the best. Btw Aruba is crawling with Bostonians. Anyone know why?

Btw Smokey Joe's was epic. Go there and GET ribs... not fish... and everyone on Aruba cooks shrimp perfectly. Now off to Curacao for the diving portion of the trip.

Btw Aruba is crawling with Bostonians. Anyone know why?
Despite Boston calling itself the hub of the universe, it's not much of a hub airport. (Not well located for that, among other things.) For the population of the region, there's not many non-stops from Boston to anyplace in the Caribbean, and a lot of those are seasonal or only a couple days a week, often just Saturday. Aruba happens to be easy to get to, there may be daily non-stops year round. (We went to Aruba long ago pre-diving, and I think we got a package with hotel/direct charter flight, they just bused folks down there like crazy.)

Loving this place. Staying at Blue Bay and while it's a bit high rent it's perfect for 6 of us with our 1 non diver. When I say high rent it's cheap compared to everywhere except Roatan before the cruise ships arrived 8 years ag . It's ridiculously cheap in fact. We've been diving right in front of our hotel every morning. I've loved it since the dive shop is on property and they charge 18 bucks a tank for nitrox and then we went down the street via rental car to Kokomo where we dove Versanbaai(?). We swam to the buoy which was 1300ft from the entry and dove to the car pile then swam to the pontoon which sits at 60ft at the top and it probably rests at 95ft. I want to hit that in the early morning since it looks like a ray den on those sandy flats. The rest of the dive was restful to the rope line and then we drifted around the area, collected trash and ascended to a busy and fun beach filled with a great beach crowd. Shout out to the owner at Trunk Divers at Kokomo . He was extremely knowledgeable and got us tanks and weights for 8US. I'll write more but so far 8 dives. I really like the vibe but all in all it's cheap as **** and the economy is obviously poor so your American dollar goes a long long way. I'm a fan of Curacao. Whomever has dove Bonaire and Curacao I'd like to know if it's worth my time to extend and head to Bonaire or leave this resort (Blue Bay) and hit the Scuba Lodge for 4 more days and hit the boat. Any expert guidance for the Superior shore entry would be appreciate . We got some guidance but would appreciate an American's perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom