Divie Report: Silent World May 4th 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I decided to make a last minute trip to Key Largo to dive this morning (marine forecast in Jupiter looked terrible!!). When in the upper Keys, I usually dive with Conch Republic, but they only had shallow reefs scheduled this AM so I decided to give the 'new' Silent World a shot. Made a reservation on Thursday and left Friday after work. After making the reservation, I noticed a couple of crappy reviews, since Chris sold the shop, on Trip Advisor, so I was a little concerned but still decided to follow through with the plan since I wanted to dive the Spiegel Grove or Duane.

Well, I could not have been more pleased with the experience. I got to the shop at 7:50 AM and it was open (a complaint on Trip Advisor was the shop was opening late) and I was greeted by a nice guy behind the counter. After checking-in and paying, I headed down to the dock. Cap't Todd is a great guy and he let us vote on which site we wanted to visit: we ended up choosing the Spiegel Grove for a double dip. Todd helped us into the water and then out and to our seats at the dive's conclusion. His dive briefing was good as well. I like a shop that does not act like overbearing swimming pool life guards and Todd let us plan our own profile (there was even a rebreather guy who did a long deco dive).

Conditions on top were near perfect: maybe 12 inch waves, if that. The vis was only so-so underneath but almost no current underwater: made it easy to swim forward from our aft mooring ball.

So my first experience with Silent World under the new ownership was very positive: I would not hesitate to go out with them again when I am diving in the north end of Key Largo.

Thanks for the report. I am headed down in a week and have a couple of days booked with them.

Good timing! I hadn't seen this thread--probably because I wasn't planning a Keys trip until a couple of days ago--but I was about to ask if anyone had experience with the "new" Silent World. I've been pleased with Chris's operation, but having seen praise for Conch Republic on SB I thought I might give them a try. Based on this, I think I will stick with Silent World for this trip.

Thanks for the report/update. I've done the Speigel a few times...always with a strong current. Glad you got a day where the conditions were mild. Much more enjoyable dive.

Good timing! I hadn't seen this thread--probably because I wasn't planning a Keys trip until a couple of days ago--but I was about to ask if anyone had experience with the "new" Silent World. I've been pleased with Chris's operation, but having seen praise for Conch Republic on SB I thought I might give them a try. Based on this, I think I will stick with Silent World for this trip.

I wouldn't hesitate to book with either. Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom