Diving after a C-section birth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Bug Bit Me

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife gave birth to a gorgeous little boy five weeks ago. Unfortunately this involved a C-section.

She is particularly strong and is already back at gym on the exercise bicycle and running with me. The doctor who delivered will sign her off for diving, but he is not exactly a diving doctor.

What is the recomended wait before getting back in the water?

I had my baby 5 and a half month ago by c section too. I was told to wait for 3 months. It will be different for everyone depending on what their doctor says. Main worry is the internal stitches healing ok with the weight you have from the equipment.

The major concern with any abdominal surgery is the possibility of developing hernias if the incision is stressed too early. We generally advised six weeks before any significant lifting.

i dove a month after mine, but my buddies put my gear in the quarry for me. i felt fine.

so if it's 'getting back in the water', my opinion is she may be ready. if it's 'lifting all the crap associated with diving', she'll never be ready and you have to do it all from now on. also, all the dishes & vacuuming.

We need a "dislike" button too....

Although since she went sidemount Marci lifts all her own tanks now (plus dishes and vacuuming) so life is good.

Now if I could just get her to mow the grass....

We need a "dislike" button too....

Although since she went sidemount Marci lifts all her own tanks now (plus dishes and vacuuming) so life is good.

Now if I could just get her to mow the grass....

Hmmmm, I could always suggest my wife can dive again when she's able to mow the lawn, do the dishes and vacuum.

Then again in the interest of harmony at home and in the dive team, I should hold back on that idea.

Yes, I've found it's wise not to antagonize the person carrying your reserve gas...

Back
Top Bottom