Diving after cataract surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't go with multifocals either. I wanted the best possible fix (so I saved several grand). But having been nearsighted all my life, I really began to regret not being able to see anything up close in the detail that I was used to, readers are good for newspapers and menus but not great.

DFV.JPG
Those are my super-readers. I spent a bit of the money I saved. :wink:

Contact Designs for Vision, Inc to See What's Right About Made In America

Not a fan of multifocal lenses. Much prefer great distance vision and wearing readers or Rx mask for close up.

I am not sure why you made this comment. If your doctor gets the distance and near prescriptions correct for the multi-focal lenses, you can have the best of both worlds--glasses not needed for anything. If you cannot afford the multi-focal lenses that is one thing, but I fail to understand why a person would elect to wear glasses when 20/20 vision, distance and near, is perfectly achievable. I speak from personal experience. I am back to the same 20/20 I had before turning 43.

...//... I am not sure why you made this comment. If your doctor gets the distance and near prescriptions correct for the multi-focal lenses, you can have the best of both worlds--glasses not needed for anything. ...
Perfectly true if you aren't a stickler about resolution.

You also need a DAMN good doc if you choose multifocal. Ask him/her what would happen if the lens was inserted into your capsule at anything other than the perfect vertical angle.

It is a choice. Neither option is perfect.

I developed eye floaters when I turned 40 and decided to undergo vitrectomy surgery to have them removed. Those surgeries went great! Most patients who undergo vitrectomy surgery will develop cataracts. Six years later, I needed to have cataract surgery. I chose to have premium IOL's to correct my Rx and have both eyes set for distance. I ended up with 20/20 left and 20/15 right after surgery. Awesome! The vitrectomies were "core" vitrectomies where vitreous was left on the retina. Several months after cataract surgery, the layer of vitreous on the retina in the left eye detached and I had a third vitrectomy to remove cobweb-like floaters. Excellent outcome! Later, I noticed that I was having trouble reading signs in the distance (about 2 years after cataract surgery). Turned out I had the "secondary cataract" effect of epithelial cells creating posterior capsular clouding. I had 3 YAG laser procedures on my left eye to clear the posterior capsule and clear capsular debris (new floaters). The third procedure was the charm. I had a couple capsular strands flapping around like a flags in and out of vision. Very thrilled with the laser surgery. At the moment, I'm floater free and have 20/20 vision in both eyes. I can read the small print on my Citizen dive watch in sunlight without readers. Inside, I need reading glasses to use the computer, read, shave, etc. Diving, I can see my Shearwater Perdix and Petrel 2's without readers. Prior to the cataract surgery, I was wearing contact lenses with Rx readers bonded to the lens of my mask. I'm currently not wearing any Rx lenses other than readers. No issues at all diving in bright light, low light, night, or caves. I was told I could dive 3 months after the initial vitrectomies, 1 week after cataract surgery, and immediately after YAG. I turn 50 next week. They sent me an AARP card. :)

Perfectly true if you aren't a stickler about resolution.

You also need a DAMN good doc if you choose multifocal. Ask him/her what would happen if the lens was inserted into your capsule at anything other than the perfect vertical angle.

It is a choice. Neither option is perfect.

As a person whose careers depended on excellent eyesight during my entire adult life, I have always been a stickler about resolution and every other aspect of my vision, thus my decision to go with the multi-focal lenses. Fortunately, I did not have to base my lens decisions on the cost differential between the various options. And yes, after an exhaustive vetting process, I selected an excellent doctor who provided the results I needed. Of course, issues can arise in any surgery which might preclude the desired outcome, but that did not happen to me. My vision is now as good as it has ever been, and I would repeat my decision without hesitation if I had to do it again. I hate wearing glasses, and now just have to put up with wearing high quality sunglasses when needed outdoors.

the joys of getting old..... My eye Dr has now said my sight is bad enough i need laser surgery. It is scheduled and I will have a bifocal type lens put in, I should, hopefully, have great long and medium distance (able to see close up within arms length) but will need aids to be able to be able to read. I have been severely near sighted since the 4th grade and am nervous this will affect my diving especially my photography skills. Any old farts out there that have had this done and how did it effect your diving. I can always get a mask made it need be. I hope this will improve my diving experience but am a bit nervous. My next trip isn't till October so I have plenty of time to recover and make any adjustments needed. Thanks for any tips or advice of even just word's that it will make diving better. Bill
I had both eyes done about 18 months ago. Recovery time before diving was 6 weeks. I have worn contacts since age 15 (or so) and have had one eye optimized for near and one for distance (also called mono-vision) for a long time. After cataract surgery, I have the same arrangement. Left for distance, right for close up.

Post surgery, things are good, not perfect. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen, so I have glasses optimized for that. Otherwise, it is the first time in a long time I can see the clock at night.

@Altimara,

I won't challenge a word of what you wrote. I opted for perfect correction at infinity. One could further modify that correction to include near vision, but then it would become a compromise. How much of a compromise? Not much. Money isn't the issue. One will buy enough cheap readers over time to more than double the additional cost.

So I would say that if the OP wanted to be through with glasses 'forever', then there is only one choice. I wore glasses all my life for distance, now wear them for close work. Works for me. Point to the OP is that it is a choice.

One more thing, yes, one can be re-operated on. I'm waiting for multifocal technology to get to where I would buy in...

Edit:
Added who I was responding to.

Last edited:
...//... and have had one eye optimized for near and one for distance (also called mono-vision) for a long time. ...
I have always wondered about this. You have absolutely no depth perception unless the object is moving.

Do you find this to be a problem?

My experience is that your outcome is not very common and certainly not a sure thing. 20/20 distance vision and perfect near vision is not the norm.

The things I love to do other than diving require great distance vision and depth perception. That is the reason that for now I wear contacts for distance and readers for up close. When I need cataract surgery(probably pretty soon) I will opt for binocular vision and what ever gives me the best chance at perfect distance vision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom