Diving after hip replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you sit indian style?
Just curious.

I have always lacked flexibility, always found sitting "Indian Style" painful, nearly impossible. I am of the age when elementary school kids did those President's Athletic Challenge Tests (or whatever they were called) in the 1960's. The "duck walk" absolutely killed me. I was a three sport competitive athlete in MI and TX high schools, and did two years of karate in college (when I became the most flexible I have ever been), but I have never been able to comfortably sit "Indian style." You recently wrote in another thread about the correct way to do a frog kick (breaststroke kick). My breaststroke kick would absolutely crack you up!

rx7diver

I have always lacked flexibility, always found sitting "Indian Style" painful, nearly impossible. I am of the age when elementary school kids did those President's Athletic Challenge Tests (or whatever they were called) in the 1960's. The "duck walk" absolutely killed me. I was a three sport competitive athlete in MI and TX high schools, and did two years of karate in college (when I became the most flexible I have ever been), but I have never been able to comfortably sit "Indian style." You recently wrote in another thread about the correct way to do a frog kick (breaststroke kick). My breaststroke kick would absolutely crack you up!

rx7diver
I couldn’t sit indian style in gradeschool either. All the children in kindergarten would sit in a circle on the floor and I was the only one than had to sit with my legs outstretched and support myself with my arms behind me. I used to get in trouble for it.
Indian style was also very painful for me then, and virtually impossible now.
I was also the tallest kid in the class with my scandinavian genetics which probably meant long tight tendons and not the type of musculoskeletal geometry that is naturally flexible. I am actually more flexible now in my left hip than I’ve been in many years. I force the stretches otherwise I will never be able to properly stretch the piriformis muscle and other glute muscles to promote recovery.

Can you sit indian style?
Just curious.
I can sit anyway I want with no problems.

It’s been 2 1/2 weeks since my hip replacement and it looks like my exercise routine for the past few years plus closely following the pre and post op exercise routine they gave me has paid off. I had computer-assisted anterior surgery, and looks like the doc did a pretty good job. He told me no post-op restrictions on movement as long as no major pain.

I was discharged from in-home PT after one session and went off the crutches after four days. Might have overdone it a bit as I developed a bad case of piriformis syndrome the second week, but that’s cleared up and I’m getting back to a more normal existence. Doing 10-15 min of elliptical each morning and hitting the weight machine every third day at about 2/3 of my pre-op weights.

I’m optimistic about getting back to diving soon if I get cleared by the surgeon at my 6 week exam.

Now I just have to convince my wife I’m not healed enough to do any household chores for the next few months.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom