Diving after Sinus Infection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catgirldiver

Registered
Reaction score
Warning, this is not a subject for the weak stomached people.

Hey Doc,

I just returned from a vacation with 10 dives in 2-1/2 days. Prior to the vacation I was taking antibiotics for a sinus infection and finished the 8 day supply after the second night. After my 5th dive on the second day I had a lot of mucous to come out of my nose. The same thing happened on the next dive after that everything seemed to be back to normal.

This is probably a stupid question, but does diving put enough pressure on your sinus cavities to press out the bad stuff?:confused:

Catgirldiver

Hey Catgirl,

No offense, but you missed the forum by one. Doc Vikingo is on the Diving Medicine forum which is one up on the Home Page. Other than that, I'm glad it worked for you!:wink:

catgirldiver once bubbled...
Warning, this is not a subject for the weak stomached people.

Hey Doc,

I just returned from a vacation with 10 dives in 2-1/2 days. Prior to the vacation I was taking antibiotics for a sinus infection and finished the 8 day supply after the second night. After my 5th dive on the second day I had a lot of mucous to come out of my nose. The same thing happened on the next dive after that everything seemed to be back to normal.

This is probably a stupid question, but does diving put enough pressure on your sinus cavities to press out the bad stuff?:confused:

Catgirldiver

Oh yes!!! Mucus comes out of my nose on every dive. Seriously.

Never dive with a cold or a sinus infection.

If your sinuses get blocked enough it will squeeze your brain right out the middle of your forehead on the way back up.

Believe me! I've had it.

I was diving in Mexico and got a "liiitttllle tiinnnyy" sinus infection. I got down during one dive and got a reverse block. Suffice it to say that having a reverse block REALLY hurts. Like it hurts SO bad that you start seriously considering drowning as an option to ascending.

Blood came out of my nose for days and I was dry for the rest of the vacation because of it too.

R..

Armchair doctor here. I think if you have had (had not HAVE) a cold / infection or even nose bleed that some of it can become trapped and left behind in your sinuses. So when you dive as you go down and equalise the air pushes past into any mucous and or blood that may be there. As you come up this air expands (hopefully not causing a block) and expels the residue. Thats what has happened to me me and the explanation i was given.

Back
Top Bottom