Diving and Cosmetics article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clear zinc oxide "for faces only" doesn't melt into my eyes and burn. It's very mild and 45 spf.
Alaska diver, we must be related. I've got the white eyebrow, eyelash thing going on too!

Hey Dive Girl...

How about this...Diver's Makeup or Not??? That is the Question!

Alternatives to having that "glow" while diving. Go ahead with the waterproof mascara, it is a good thing, just make sure it is the kind that doesn't clump and ends up all over the inside of your mask. If you use the moisturizer with an SPF then you should be able to come up with the cheek glow, from your topside sun (if you are warm water diving). Also, you should check into lip balms that have sunscreens. A lot of them come in colors now...so....

good luck!

Liz

Chocoholic:
I am still looking for a sunscreen that doesn't end up melting into my eyes while I dive. I have to wear a hat and NO sunscreen on my face on the boat so that I don't spend the entire dive with my eyes all tearing and itching. Any ideas would help.

I use Banana Boat sunscreen for babies - it's 50 SPF, has both chemical and physical blocks in it, and it's the only one that doesn't irritate my eyes once it gets wet. I havce to reapply it as soon as I'm back on the boat because it's not waterproof, but it's better than the alternative.

thomjinx:
Perhaps I have no business posting on this forum but there is a terrific product for divers and snorkelers called "Seasafe". It is a sunscreen available in different SPFs that actually protects against jellyfish stings. It works! Not sure if it works with every species, but it seems to have been well researched and it has been on the market for awhile. I am of Scotch-Irish descent so I need to use sunscreen anyway. Even in a full wetsuit I put this stuff on my ears and face (I don't wear a hood) and any other exposed skin (hands, ankles). I have never been stung, knock wood, even when there were tiny stingers in the water and everyone else was getting a jellyfish 'rash'.

You won't likely find it in cosmetic shops but many dive shops carry it.

I am not associated with the company that makes this, just trying to be helpful.

Thomjinx

Thanks for posting this! In addition to being quite fair, I'm also an incredible magnet for the sea lice!:shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom