Diving and Excercising

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love crossfit anyway, the reason for my question is this, physical fitness is promoted in diving, especially when it comes to technical diving.

Really? Looking at the crowd at Ginnie Springs this past Saturday you would have made the opposite conclusion. If I stitched together all the neoprene it took to make all those XXL and XXXL wet/dry suits I could have paved the 130 mile drive back to Tampa with it...

Really? Looking at the crowd at Ginnie Springs this past Saturday you would have made the opposite conclusion. If I stitched together all the neoprene it took to make all those XXL and XXXL wet/dry suits I could have paved the 130 mile drive back to Tampa with it...

LMAO!!! :rofl3:

I have a good question that may have been asked and answered already. If you are diving very often and need to excercise, is it better to excercise first then give yourself about an hour before you dive?

As compared to what other option?

The current thinking is that excercise before a dive is good. Excercise for a period of time after diving is bad.

R..

Excerpt from DAN Divers Alert Network : Juggling Physical Exercise and Diving

Timing of exercise and diving

After accepting the need for regular exercise to maintain or improve physical fitness, the next issue concerns the timing of exercise training and diving. Scheduling outside physical fitness activities can be problematic when someone dives frequently. While part of this is simply a time management problem, there are other considerations. Conducting intense physical exercise too close to diving activity can be problematic for more fundamental reasons.

Bubble formation, while noted earlier as not equivalent to or a guarantee of DCS, can indicate an increased risk for it. Intense physical activity — generally with substantial muscular forces and joint loading, or the application of forces on joints — is believed to transiently increase micronuclei activity, the presumed agent of bubble formation. Intense physical activity too close to diving may therefore be problematic. Physical activity after diving may also stimulate additional bubble formation, possibly through a combination of increased microicronuclei activity and increased joint forces.

Interestingly, some preliminary work has shown that an intense bout of exercise conducted 24 hours prior to diving may reduce bubble presence in humans,3 possibly by inhibiting micronuclei activity. This potentially protective effect was not seen with exercise conducted closer to dive time. While this effect needs to be validated, the preliminary findings may support a simple rule of thumb for scheduling exercise. To reduce the risk, it is a good idea to avoid intense exercise 24 hours before and after diving.

The near-dive window will be best for low-intensity activities.Those who participate in cross-training activities may find it easiest to accommodate this schedule. For those who are more singleminded, diving may fit well into training rest days for those who put the priority on exercise, while training may fit best into diving rest days for those who put the priority on diving. Overall, lower training intensities will likely be more appropriate for the latter group, but accommodations can be reached.

I think it's safe to say that according to this article light exercise is ok, but save the power-lifting for another day.

According to the "decompression for divers" book, exercise 10 hours before a dive seems contributes to DCS, while exercising the day before (just not under the 10 hour window) seems to reduce it.

Avoid exercise after a dive, especially heavy exercise until you're offgassed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom