Diving and metabolism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Theres a thread in a norwegian forum that diving really boosts your metabolism.
One article even states that 15 min at 20 meters will burn as much calories as one hour of hard aerobics!
It is discussed that the body cannot use its usual channels of energy and burns directly into fat storages. This, it is argued, is due to pressure and compressed air...
I really don't know, but Im always hungry after a dive, it feels like my metabolism is up, but im not hot or sweaty...
Anybody got a clue?

I think a lot of it has to do with the body trying to keep itself warm.

Maybe when diving in Norway. I know a few divers around here whose physiques argue strongly against it.

Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com says a person my weight would burn 667 calories per hour at general scuba diving, 1,143 cph at scuba diving as a navy seal. I can do better than that on a stairmaster.

There is nothing about being under hyperbaric conditions that necessitates an increase in metabolic rate. Divers will burn calories with movement, and with shivering. Diving alone is not a way to lose weight (unless you're on the Mexican cave diving weight loss program :D)

All I know is I ate like a pig on the Galapagos Aggressor and came back 2 lbs. lighter. Maybe that was from trying to pull myself into the panga.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom