Diving at Cates Park - Restrictions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gchapman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Contacting the Harbour Master is for diving in the Burrard Inlet which is (to me) between First and Second Narrows bridge. The problem with Cates is the boat traffic this time of year(boat dock and yahoos on SeaDoos). It really isn't much to see but then I only made it to 60'. A very gradual bottom with just rocks and seaweed. But my winter dive I did find a crab trap!

I have yet to make any phone calls other that to dive buddies to go diving. I would not worry about it. Just watch out for the boats cruising by and crabbing.

I assume the park was open since the oil spill or where you there before it?

TheWetRookie:
I assume the park was open since the oil spill or where you there before it?
After, actually.

It's been cleaned up - vis was great. You'd never know there'd been an oil spill....

Salmon were running, lots of fisherman and boats coming in shallow. Might want to bring a flag. :)

I've found lots of fishing gear after the season ends. yes get a flag or go on a dreary day. some of those boaters are really dumb (oops I meant to say dangerous) As for the vis you must have hit the tides just right. It is hit and miss there.

Back
Top Bottom