Diving at San Miguel for the first time - what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miket

Reaction score
I am going to San Miguel (weather permitting of course) and was wondering what to expect. I am going there on Wednesday the 7th on the Peace.

I know the Peace is a great boat as I have been to Anacapa/Santa Cruz on it.

I was wondering what to expect for dive sites? I like to shoot video when diving but have heard that currents and surge at San Miguel can be very strong. As well as lots of deep dive sites (not my favorite for video as it is dark, and carrying a big camera down an anchor line in current is not fun). I was wondering if I should just bring my small Olympus digital instead of video.

Also - what is the chance we will make it? I read lots of reports where they did Santa Cruz or another island due to weather.

Cheers,
Mike
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

I've been fortunate the times I've gone to Miguel. It was clear and calm each day I was there. Ocean was flat and diving was comfortable (if you "ignored" the 51 degree min temp which was fairly easy in my old M&B wetsuit). Vis was not fantastic due to nutrient-driven plankton production. Thick clouds of zooplankton on occasion. I did get some worth while video at the sites we dove, and was happy we made it there under good conditions.

Don't know what next week might bring. Here on Catalina this weekend vis dropped as low as 5-10', cold water (52 F) upwellings, reasonably strong surge. This was the coldest water I've experienced here recently including all of last winter when temps didn't drop below 56 for me.

Back
Top Bottom