Diving Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone! New to scuba board and looking for some answers. I am planning a dive trip to Australia in April. I was hoping some one could recommend a good dive facility and place to head out of. I will be starting my trip in Brisbane and have been told to hit dive shops out of Cairns. Is there a closer place to leave from? I have also been informed Fitzroy Island. Is it worth the ferry ride over to dive all day and is there a nitrox fill station on the island? All recommendations welcomed, I just want the best experience while I am there. Thanks!

Welcome to Scubaboard WarmH2Ogirl!

I'm sure Andy Jones & Almitywife will be here shortly with some great suggestions/ideas for you!

I'll be in Cairns & Sydney in a week and will post a trip report when I get back! Maybe that'll give you some ideas too...

Oh! and be sure to check out the ScubaBoard - Deep Dixie Divers the locals forum for your area!

Good Morning ... Good Morning ... Good Morning.

Firstly DN, I cannot believe how good the weather is here. SENSATIONAL

Wouldnt, Couldnt and simply won't live anywhere else !!!

Welcome H to scubaboard.

So let me get this right, starting in Brisbane and working your way up the East Coast. Greyhound Bus Pass up the coast if you are travelling on your own so that you can make all the relevant diving stops and meet people. Campervan if you have a friend.

April gets a bit wet but so what. Only concern is currents around Yongalla Wreck at that time of the year.

How long do you plan to stay in Australia roughly ?

Your occupation goes hand in hand with diving here as the marine life is varied, colourful and plenty.

To answer your question about Fitroy Island.

No - to Nitrox
No - to quality diving as too close to the Coast with no reef.
Yes - to cheap, $44 for transfers there and back. Currently under construction, has gone from Backpacker haven to facilities now demolished to make way for Apartments. ( around $2 mill each ). All resort facilities have been flattened so we are currently left with what I call a coral beach ( hard on the feet ) surrounded by Jellyfish up to and including April.

Now that should in no way dampen the spirits because options have just gone from 101 to 100.

Island diving is South and I will leave that to almighty, happy to cover Whitsundays, Yongalla, Cairns, Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation and further North.

As I do not know your budgets, total time frame for travel or how many dives you hope to do I will need a little help to not get to confusing as the choices are endless.

Cheers Andy

Thanks for helping me Andy. I plan to be in Australia for 2-3 weeks. Me and my father are visiting a friend who is studying at the University in Brisbane. I am not sure how much my dad is wanting to spend on this trip, but I am hoping that $1500 will cover my activities there. What do you think? As far as the number of dives - it does not matter. I would be completely satisfied if once in my life I could dive the Great Barrier Reef. My dad feels the same way. We do not need to dive every day, but we do want to experience what you have to offer. If you could help with the choices, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Amber

Not a Problem Amber,

You have been a big help with your reply, however a few more questions if I may. Also, if I may ask that we use your holiday for now as an example for fellow scubaboard members thinking of doing the East Coast on a budget ( it is about 2000 km's ) about obtaining a great time with limited funds without to much compromise.

Is your dad a cert diver and if so, how many dives.

Do you intend to travel by road or fly up here ?

If flying are you looking for clean budget style accommodation.

Consider, flying up to Cairns..... how many days would you think you are staying.

Where is your final destination for departure.

With this info, I can start to put a quality itinery together to match your budget, considering essential costs like accomm, plane tickets, other intersts you may have other than diving. And finally... where you are diving.

Note: Yongalla wreck ,you need 20 dives minimum to dive on the wreck. Amber,you have that however if you fly it is not an option because it is a 800km round trip from Cairns, however if driving it is on your way.

Two weeks is the suggested time frame to drive the East Coast, however having dealt with many International visitors I understanding driving here on the wrong side of the road is something not everyone feels comfortable with. maybe while in brisbane it is something to try.

Cheers Andy

The travel guy mentioned that "April gets a little wet", its also the end of the cyclone season and the Bureau of Meteorlogy (Home Page - Bureau of Meteorology) is warning of the possibility of a cyclone before the end of the season. Im not sure if you would get yer dough back if a trip was prebooked and a cyclone eventuated - knowing Queenslanders I would probably say not - so best to check before you hand over yer hard earned tourist dollars.

Ha... cb, very good.

One cyclone u say........ only one!!!

Money back, let me please clarify.

If you were diving on 60 foot sailing boats out of the Whitsunday Islands ( which has no International Airport ) therefore a TAD behind the rest of the world, they in the past TELL you to claim your trip on travel insurance. I have argued with the owners of the 2 largest Sailing operators in the Whitsundays that this attitude is NOT ON. At this stage they have now taken 1 baby step to let you change dates. Not much help in the big skeem of things if you are on limited time.

CB, you may have noticed in the press on Tuesday, 2 boats Romance ( tourist ) and Stella Maris ( family living on her ) both sunk from high winds while trying to hide behind the Islands. 34 tourists, young backpackers where winched by helicopter to safety off romance with I am happy to say no one hurt .

NOW Cairns, the main entry point to the Great Barrier Reef, with an International Airport catering for 2.5 million visitors to the Reef every year is very serious about keeping the punter happy. 25 metre vessels capable of hiding behind a coral mass that can be seen from the moon. Cancellations because of high winds, cyclones, etc are Full Money back.

It is commonplace, potentially expected that EVERY traveller wants his/ her diving to be in 5 knots with 40 metres of visability, and all get a little dissapointed when it isnt.

This is when I tongue in cheek go..... HELLO

We are divers arent we, trying to advance ourselves in the craft of floating underwater in all conditions.

Even on our worst day here, water temp's unlike N.S.W are still 25c ( 28 is 82f right? ). 30 knot winds bring us down to 15metres of vis. And the Fish are still there.

I say there are 3 things make diving good here on the G.B.R and you only need one of them to have a great experience. Sun to penetrate..... Shelter from Coral for comfort...... or a great reef site with lots of action.

Cheers Andy

P.S Yongalla for the record also gives full refunds, however 3 owners of dive vessels there and a good Dive travel Agent worth his salt will always advise that Yongalla is an exposed wreck that cancels with winds over 15/ 20 knts because of currents. Therefor plan ahead by allowing 2/3 days to hang around.

Back
Top Bottom