Question Diving before flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect the majority of airports in the world are not at sea level. If their guidance did not apply to these cases, don't you think DAN would have a caveat or footnote to that effect? Perhaps added to the 24+ hr category as "mandatory deco or landing above sea level"?
Wikipedia has a list of the highest airports.
They do not trike me as the destination airports for a lot of divers....

I'm not going to try and guess what DAN ought or ought not do, DAN US and DAN Europe don't even agree on the recommendation for wait-time before flying. Flying to a high-altitude airport is mpt the leding term in the equation.

I don't see any reason why you can't fly to Denver. You are supposed to wait because you are flying an airplane pressurized to 7,000-8,000 feet. That is where the concern is. Descending to Denver's altitude of 5,280 should not be a problem after that. I have never, ever seen a warning in any literature about where you go after the flight, unless it would be to a lesser pressure than the flight itself.

A "shallow dive" on 30% is in the "is it possible to get DCS at all" territory.

If there was any DCS risk from doing a near unlimited NDL dive for one hour, and then waiting a further 18 hours, there would be a lot more bent vacation divers.

I appreciate the lively discussion everyone! Yes, we do have a brief layover in DC from 3-4 pm, then it's 4 hours to Denver. I'll reach out to DAN for the official word. I should have thought about that first, but it's our first time to get their insurance too! If it's close to a concern at all, we will just wait for the next dive trip :) Thank you!

I appreciate the lively discussion everyone! Yes, we do have a brief layover in DC from 3-4 pm, then it's 4 hours to Denver. I'll reach out to DAN for the official word. I should have thought about that first, but it's our first time to get their insurance too! If it's close to a concern at all, we will just wait for the next dive trip :) Thank you!
It’s not close to being a concern. Your plan is well within DANs recommendations, and the fact that you’re going to Denver doesn’t change the recommendations. Have a fun trip and enjoy the dives!

I suspect the majority of airports in the world are not at sea level. If their guidance did not apply to these cases, don't you think DAN would have a caveat or footnote to that effect? Perhaps added to the 24+ hr category as "mandatory deco or landing above sea level"?
The majority of the worlds cities, thus airports, are in the 0 to 1000ft range.

A "shallow dive" on 30% is in the "is it possible to get DCS at all" territory.

Just wanted to point out that in the OP's first post he used the term "shallow" to mean <60 feet, which is a little deeper than I first thought of as shallow for Keys diving purposes. Agree that if OP was using 30% on a 30 foot Key Largo reef dive that it would seem there would be very little Nitrogen absorption.

I have never, ever seen a warning in any literature about where you go after the flight, unless it would be to a lesser pressure than the flight itself.
Nor have I. Further, DAN offers the same 12/18/24 hr guidance for people whose home is at a higher elevation than the dive site when queried as to the "time to drive".

I fail to see a need for a call to DAN.

I imagine it might go something like:

"Hi, DAN. We'll be doing a single dive to 59 or fewer feet in depth and then flying about 17 hours later, which is considerably more than the 12 hours you recommend as a surface interval. Would you recommend us ignoring your 12 hour guidance and staying on the ground even longer?"

Just mi dos centavos.

Day 1: afternoon shallow (< 60 ft) 2-tank dive with 30% EANx
Day 3: evening shallow 1-tank dive with 30% EANx ...
You will be fine, but if you want to be even safer use a higher EANx. At the depths you will be diving, you will be good all the way to the 40% you will be qualified for.

I don't know about the dive op you are going to use, but most have 32% on hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom