Diving Blue Grotto or Devil's Den?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should not have any trouble finding a dive buddy upon arrival at either location. It is very easy to do both in one day, but I always liked to take my time & explore around the deep outside walls of Devil's Den. Doing this, it is 2 tanks, at about 50ft. Blue Grotto is about 100ft. Both are full of water right now.
Expect to pay $35-$40 at each location. If I could only do one place, Devil's Den. If you need more info, shoot me an I.M. I live near both places.
Capt. Esteban

You should not have any trouble finding a dive buddy upon arrival at either location. It is very easy to do both in one day, but I always liked to take my time & explore around the deep outside walls of Devil's Den. Doing this, it is 2 tanks, at about 50ft. Blue Grotto is about 100ft. Both are full of water right now.
Expect to pay $35-$40 at each location. If I could only do one place, Devil's Den. If you need more info, shoot me an I.M. I live near both places.
Capt. Esteban

Thanks CaptEseban, I will try to do both in one day. If not, there's always the next trip. Still holding out hope for a dive buddy, but just in case...is it normal just to walk up and say "hi! Lets dive"? lol

One question about wet suits...3m or 6.5m? I hear the temp is 72, but sounds like I would be ok in the 6.5.

Thanks!

As you can see from the above posts, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I like both places, but I would suggest diving Blue Grotto first and diving Devils Den next. DD has much better restroom and gear washing facilities. I can't dive with this weekend because of prior committments, but the next time you're down here, shoot me a PM and we'll try to get together for a couple of dives. :palmtree: Bob

Bob, Thanks for the info. I also sent a PM to MissD.
Next time I plan to come down, I will shoot you a PM.

Thanks for the help!

One question about wet suits...3m or 6.5m? I hear the temp is 72, but sounds like I would be ok in the 6.5. Thanks!

a 6.5 sounds a little much to me... I dive both sites in a 3 and have done them in a 3/2. B.G is usually 72 at the surface but gets down to 69 or 70 at the 95' mark. DD stays a constant 72.

Keep your plans posted here,:coffee: if my dive partners back out :dork2: for Sat. I may head that way looking for you. :D

Devil's Den. You may want to call to see if they can provide a guide, just in case there is no buddy easily available.

Thanks CaptEseban, I will try to do both in one day. If not, there's always the next trip. Still holding out hope for a dive buddy, but just in case...is it normal just to walk up and say "hi! Lets dive"? lol

One question about wet suits...3m or 6.5m? I hear the temp is 72, but sounds like I would be ok in the 6.5.

Thanks!

It is OK to go there & tell them that you need a dive buddy. They will help you get hooked up with others. Neither place has a guide. Bring your own tanks, too. Get them filled at D. Den. Water will be 72°. A 3mm wetsuit can be OK, but if you are going to be in the water a long time/several dives ,which you will be, you will be glad that you have the thicker one.
Drift diving the Rainbow River is another good dive ! I take divers out in my boat on it,, && STAY with the divers til they are finished.

Gosh, I might like to respond to this, but Tracy has control of this area, so I will probably be deleted, or altered in some way...

Cooltech, I glanced at two threads in the past minute or so and both of them had basically the same post from you, something about Tracy controlling areas and changing your posts. Mods don't alter or delete posts just for the heck of it. There has to be a reason. Read the Terms of Service. Here is a link.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?faq=tos_items#faq_scubaboard_tos

I want to emphasize this part:

No post should exceed a "PG" rating (link). Profane, racial, insulting or mean spirited language is simply not allowed here and this includes any sort of harassment or cyber bullying. Threats of any sort are grounds for immediate permanent suspension; there is never a reason to resort to personal attacks. If you feel that you have been attacked, please do not retaliate; instead use the Report Bad Post button at the bottom of each post to notify us. Trolling posts or off-topic posts (hijacking) may be moderated or removed.

And, most importantly, this part:

ScubaBoard retains all rights and privileges to all its editorial content.

The mods are chosen by Scubaboard and are given their instructions by Scubaboard. If you have an issue with something a Mod has done, then you basically have an issue with Scubaboard. If that's the case, you have three choices. The first is to try to work with the mod you have the issue with and see if you can resolve it. If that doesn't work, another option is to ask another Mod for help. And, your third choice is to either stay out of the forums you have had the problem in or stay off of Scubaboard alltogether. No matter what, the choice is yours, but please keep your whining out of the forums. Nobody wants to see it.

3 of us are diving Devil's on Saturday (also in Tampa Area for a business meeting Thurs-Fri).

This will be our second trip their. Previously we have done Grotto for the depth-geologically there is some interesting stuff in the cavern but viz quickly turns to crap in the upper part when there is training.

Devils was a blast last time, its like being in a jungle gym of rocks. Our buddy got a U/W digital for Christmas so we are lookin forward to messing with that.
See you there!

3 of us are diving Devil's on Saturday (also in Tampa Area for a business meeting Thurs-Fri).

This will be our second trip their. Previously we have done Grotto for the depth-geologically there is some interesting stuff in the cavern but viz quickly turns to crap in the upper part when there is training.

Devils was a blast last time, its like being in a jungle gym of rocks. Our buddy got a U/W digital for Christmas so we are lookin forward to messing with that.
See you there!

PS-I run a 5mm in the springs and still get a bit chilly, but I am also 140 and 5'11"....

Blue Grotto can be as clear as bathwater many times. All it takes is for a couple of people to hit the bottom, especially around the deeper , outside edges, & it is messed up for quite awhile. A lot of black silt along those edges. Stay away from there.

jmorris,
If you guys want to dive Rainbow River while here, let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom