diving books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdaniels09

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know any good diving related books/ novels? I have read shadow divers and loved it.

Welcome to the board! A search on ScubaBoard will provide you with stacks of reading material you may find interesting. One particular book I recommend to every diver is "Diver Down" by Michael Ange. Michael is the accident and incident column editor at ScubaDiving Magazine. This book has taught me more about diving than any other publication. It talks about how and why diving accidents happen and how one can avoid them. It's well-written, too. For me it turned out to be a page turner, despite the subject matter.

Thank you for the welcome! and thank you for the suggestion

Does anyone know any good diving related books/ novels? I have read shadow divers and loved it.

All divers should read "The Silent World" by Jacques Cousteau. It basically shows the history of the invention of the Aqua Lung, as well as it's early history.

"The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury is good, though goes into a little too much detail for my taste.

"The Dive" by freediver Pipin Ferreras is interesting and controversial.

"Diver" by Tony Groom is written by a former Royal Navy and commerical diver. Interesting and sometimes funny stuff.

"The Blue Edge" and "Last of the Blue Water Hunters" by Carlos Eyles. Freediving/spearfishing books. Very nice reads.

"The Coast of Coral" and "The Reefs of Taprobane" by Arthur C. Clarke. Really nice accounts of early dive trips Clarke made in the 1950s to the Great Barrier Reef and to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). The latter is my favorite diving book.

Those should get you through the summer. :wink:

Another vote for "Diver Down"

"The Last Dive" is a great biography about the east coast wreck and cave diving scene in the late 80's early 90's.

I am in the middle of "Deep Descent" which is another good read. The focus of the book is the history and diving of the Andrea Doria.

All three of these books are great reads and will help make you a better diver by learning what not to do.

Bill

Another vote for "Diver Down"

"The Last Dive" is a great biography about the east coast wreck and cave diving scene in the late 80's early 90's.

I am in the middle of "Deep Descent" which is another good read. The focus of the book is the history and diving of the Andrea Doria.

All three of these books are great reads and will help make you a better diver by learning what not to do.

Bill

The book written about the Andrea Doria (Deep Descent) is an excellent choice IMHO. It is based on a negative theme (accidents etc. on the Andrea Doria which rests in about 225' of water) but it really is a good book. I would definitely recommend it.

i really like "Treasure of the Great Reef" by Arthur C. Clarke. its an account of an expedition they undertook to salvage silver coins from a wreck in Sri Lanka. its an old book but lots of interesting information on early diving in SL, and the story behind the expedition. lots of photographs as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom