Diving buddies/site in Central FL? (Jul 2-9)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deyv

Reaction score
OK, I'm from up in Niagara Falls, and will be coming down there Friday (the 2nd). I was just getting on here looking for dive buddies/trips I could do while I'm down there (gotta do the Disney thing while I'm here)

I wasn't planning to bring tanks, so I'd need to rent some.

If you get this late (since it's already tues afternoon) you can leave me a message at home at (716) 434-5628 (up until friday morning) or Private message me on here

Deyv

Another great resource is Ned Deloach's book, Underwater Florida. The tenth edition is the current one, and it's available in most dive shops in Florida. Here's the entry for it on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/104-4219904-4476707?v=glance&s=books

It's a great reference and covers most fresh and saltwater sites around the state.

Good luck and safe ascents,
Grier

That is a really good book, but when I was in Daytona about a month ago, the ocean was too rough to go out on, so we used this book to see what was available at Ginnie Springs, and the phone numbers arent right in the book, at least not in mine. On page 87,it shows the number to be 904-454-2202. We couldnt get through to that, and after researching a little further, the correct number is 386-454-7188. Just thought I would pass along that little tid bit of info.

I would highly recommend a trip to Blue Springs State park in Orange City. Exit 114 off I-4. It is about an hour from the theme park area but a great place. You can dive the spring up to 110 feet and then drift dive down the river. Occasionally will see manatee, gators and other wildlife. The water is a constant 72 degrees year round. Being from Upstate NY I would imagine this would feel like bathwater to you. :wink:

The Keys are great diving if you want to travel that far. You can actually stay the night in an underwater hotel room in Penekamp! (Upper Keys)

Unfortunately I can't help you further. We moved to Florida 3 years ago so we could dive year round...and be closer to Disney. I can count on one hand how many times I've been submerged since we moved...and one doesn't count since it was in our pool!

If you need a dive buddy contact me. Either my husband Jack or I (or both) would be glad for the excuse to get away!

Dee

HappyUnderWater:
I would highly recommend a trip to Blue Springs State park in Orange City. Exit 114 off I-4. It is about an hour from the theme park area but a great place. You can dive the spring up to 110 feet and then drift dive down the river. Occasionally will see manatee, gators and other wildlife. The water is a constant 72 degrees year round. Being from Upstate NY I would imagine this would feel like bathwater to you. :wink:

The Keys are great diving if you want to travel that far. You can actually stay the night in an underwater hotel room in Penekamp! (Upper Keys)

Unfortunately I can't help you further. We moved to Florida 3 years ago so we could dive year round...and be closer to Disney. I can count on one hand how many times I've been submerged since we moved...and one doesn't count since it was in our pool!

If you need a dive buddy contact me. Either my husband Jack or I (or both) would be glad for the excuse to get away!

Dee

Blue Springs looks/sounds interesting. I think I will check it out next week when I am down there. Dee, if you and the hubby are planning on going, let me know.

--MichaelG

HappyUnderWater:
I can count on one hand how many times I've been submerged since we moved...and one doesn't count since it was in our pool!

Well, Dee, you and hubby just need to come a little farther southeast and join us for some of our long afternoons of diving and socializing. Keep an eye on the Private Trips folder, because there are several events in the works that are a little closer to you than Lauderdale By The Sea.

Thanks for the Blue Springs suggestion. I've always loved Rainbow River and this sounds kinda similar, with the added addition of some good depth at the spring. It's definitely on my list for the fall.

Safe ascents,
Grier

Looks like MichaelG is working on blue springs for during the week, and I'm hooking up with NetDoc on Sat after he's done doing OW training. HappyUnderWater, I'd love to meet up with you guys too (or maybe a more the merrier thing?) the Girlfriend doesn't dive (or even swim), so I end up having to always look for people to dive with (I've gotten ALOT more replies from FL than when I headed to NC and SC.

Deyv

Hey everyone! Life intervened and I haven't had time to post or even check the boards since June 30th! I can't believe it has been over a month! Anyhow, sorry I missed you guys when you were down. How did your trips go? Hope you had a great time here in central Florida! I will definitely make myself available next time around!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom